Saturday, August 13, 2016

Stacking the Shelves #2

It's that time again! Happy weekend everyone and thanks to the little nuggets who took the time to reply to my very first Stacking the Shelves post from last weekend. For those of you who are new to Stacking the Shelves, you can read about joining in here and as always, huge shout out to our ever-so-lovely host Tynga's Reviews! As you know by now, the general ideal behind these posts is one large round-up of all the books from your week.

I don't know about you lot but my week was exhausting. It's time for the fair to be around my hometown and the week was spent dealing with the sudden surge of customers popping into work to escape the heat or traffic.

Which roughly means little to no free time, a lot of obnoxious and messy people making my workday hellish. I'm not exaggerating there--but that's not what this post is going to be about. I mostly crammed in reading time this week between breaks so I could have the weekend mostly to myself and to also have Sunday morning free to go to the fair with my friend and her daughter, as it's the last day it's in town.


Although my free time dwindled down for the better part of the week, and a bit of a stomach issue (which is very common for me and has been since I was a kid) prevented me from doing more, I think I managed to scrape the surface really well and productively speaking, it was a good week with what I read, purchased or was sent. So, let's tackle the thrifty deals I managed this week--I made it into Goodwill once, which given my schedule was pretty remarkable! I found a few things there and once again, I stumbled in the shop on just the right day.

I am really strangely good at coming in on the days where they hold book sales! This time it was, once again, 3 books for $1! Hooray! Are you excited? I'm excited.

What I got: 

Not pictured: I purchased a cookbook for my friend. 

I'm pretty excited about all of the ones pictured above. Crossed is the second of the Matched trilogy, which I've been wanting to get my hands on for a while and couldn't help but to grab it the second I saw it. I read Matched years ago and never got around to purchasing the rest of the trilogy so I just kind of went for it, you know? I've probably mentioned it before, but the only bookstore (not secondhand) in the area is roughly the size of a shoe-box, so the stock is very minimal and mostly sticks with classics that are well-loved/always sought after and the newer releases.

So, it wasn't easy to get my hands on the rest of the series but I stopped by the bookstore just out of curiosity and they actually had the third book as well, so I went ahead and took the plunge for completing the trilogy. I am going to show a rare phase of confidence but I'm really fond of the picture I took of Reached:


I'm excited to pick up on the series but I think I'm going to wait until autumn is officially here and I have a little less on my plate (although I'm not sure that's possible but let's be optimistic for a few minutes) to read it. I should probably reread Matched, as well, since I only remember the vaguest of details.

I think I showed a bit of restraint this time. But I'm not going to pat myself on the back for not spending all my money--afterall, I did manage a huge haul at Hobby Lobby earlier in the week and I have to do a Clinique run for skin care products soon. Not to mention the sad news of one of my Too Faced palettes breaking, and needing to replace it, which I'll get to that whenever I finish typing up my first massive beauty post.

My next purchase was a cover buy and was at the Dollar Tree, which I check out every once and a while to see what hardcover novels they have for only $1. I really am a sucker, guys.

I've never heard of this one but I thought it seemed cute and fluffy and the perfect read for the end of summer. Has anyone else read it?

Skipping ahead to what publishers have sent me this week! I'm really excited for this because this week was a dream when it came to bookmail--I received three ARC copies of some sure-to-be fun reads. One of them was WHAT THE DEAD WANT, which you can find my original excitement over it here and the review here. I am not including a picture of it in my roundup because I already got ahead of myself and posting it as a Monday Mailbox entry. What can I say? Sometimes you just have to post ahead of time.

The other two reads were just as exciting to see waiting for me.

I really can't describe how exciting it is to have received Lucy & Andy Neanderthal and how jealous one of my friends is for this one. It is sure to be a cute little graphic novel and I cannot wait to dive into it further. I'm curious, too, to see how the finished copy looks upon its release.

Lastly... CARAVAL! I can't believe I was sent a copy of this and it's one of my most anticipated reads for next year. Let's take a moment to squeal over this. I'm pretty sure my neighbor and his wife think I'm cracking a bit, because I opened it out on the porch and did a weird little happy dance. They're pretty used to that though at this point, I think. Why is it that whenever you do something incredibly silly and think no one is watching, a wild family appears?

I'm going to be taking some pictures of it for my Instagram later on this week because the inside is so gorgeous and I can't even imagine how pretty the finished copies are going to be. Prepare for the drool, mate. Prepare.

That's it for my purchases and finds this week when it boils down to physical copies of books. As a bonus, have a couple of poor shots of The Cursed Child and the freebie poster that came with it at Target, which they tried to rip me off of:

I'm so excited to find a place for it.

The older I get, the less inclined I am to hang up posters on my walls--I still have one HP film poster, one for THG and my beloved poster of RENT: LIVE ON BROADWAY, so it's going to be tricky deciding which one to take down and tuck away safely until I have a place with more wall space, but. I think I may just take down the film poster of HP and replace it with this for now.

(All I know is that it's not going to be Rent, okay? Okay.)

AH...

Now, to wrap things up. Let's talk digital purchases or galleys of that variety. I didn't purchase anything digitally this week. At all. But, I did snag a few galleys from Edelweiss:
So... that's about all for this weekend. What about you guys? What books did you get this week that you're most excited about? Did you do anything fun this week or have any fabulous weekend plans? 

No comments:

Post a Comment