Saturday, September 17, 2016

A Day in the Life: September 1st-17th, 2016

SEPTEMBER 1ST-17TH, 2016. The month of September has been mostly good to me so far. My friends and I've had more time to go out and do things together, meet new people and the like. Saturdays are typically filled with a girl's day (thrifting, shopping, lunch at Panera, makeup hauls and later, a bar night with the boys) and that alone has been a treat. Nothing says the weekend like spending money you probably shouldn't (oh, that Jessica! What a rebel!) and splurging on that yummy menu of soup/salad Panera has. 

Sometimes, the older you get and the less you can see your friends, due to scheduling conflicts, you forget what it's really like to be out there with people you truly love. For the first time in a few years, I've felt incredibly alive and free. This isn't to say that I feel disconnected in my day-to-day life. Because I don't--but it's still a nice change of pace for someone like me, who always used to need to be doing something to feel like myself. 2015-2016 has been filled with new additions to my circle of friends and I couldn't be happier because of it.


You know that feeling you get when you meet someone who is just the sort of person you didn't know you were looking for?

My friend, S, and I have lucked out with our outings, recently. Honestly. I don't think we've ever met so many people in such a short amount of time but just as suddenly, we've got an expanded group of friends and it feels like they've been there all along. Sometimes life surprises you in the best ways and this is one of those situations and looking back, it's a real stroke of luck.

But enough about social lives--let's get down to the goodies. Wait, did anyone else just have Goodies by Ciara start bopping in their mind? Oops. Anyways. We'll start in order--thrifting. As you guys know, I'm a huge thrift shop and antique shop addict. Now that S has the weekends off, she's been joining me more and more as I explore local shops and she's really getting the hang of it. We've spent the last few weekends scoping out various spots and as luck has it, we've found a lot of cute things.

Next time I do a post like this, a haul, she'll be joining me as a guest! Woo, you guys have NO idea what's in store for you. S, as it happens, found the most in our little thrifting trips but that doesn't mean I found nothing. On the contrary, I found quite a few cute tops and sweaters for work, as well as, yep, you totally guessed it, a book. Not to mention we ran into a very kind elderly woman at Goodwill who passed us a coupon for 15% off our entire order--thanks, mystery woman!

Here's a glimpse at some of the things I got. My personal favourite is this hot pink top with a little print on it that has become my go-to work shirt because I can pair it with so many things. How cute is this? For the record, it was only $2! I couldn't resist its call and I'm glad I didn't--it's so stunning and surprisingly comfortable for its fabric. I like that it's one of those long sleeve tops that is thin enough to not get too hot in but also covers you up nicely when it's night time and the temperature starts to dip.

For all my Doctor Who fans (God, I miss that show! Is it back yet?) it reminded me, very vaguely, of a top that Clara Oswald wore a couple seasons back. It's not the eyeball pattern but something about it has a very similar vibe so naturally I adore it all the more and try to mimic that look in so many ways.

My next topic is the fact that I found some vintage Archie comics for only $3 together at an antique shop in my downtown area. Everyone knows that I love Archie comics (and can't wait for Riverdale) so it should come as no surprise that I pounced on these the moment S found them for me. I'm surprised she didn't keep them for herself, as she is a huge fan like me--but I'm glad she didn't. I mean, can ANYONE pass up such a good find? It felt like a steal. It felt (dramatic music) like fate.

To make matters even more fantastic, they each feature some of my favourite Archie characters. Sabrina, Josie and the Pussycats and Jughead. Need I say more? I don't know how well you guys can see the pictures but on the digest issue of Jughead's collection, I need that sweater that Betty (at least, I think it's Betty!) is wearing. No, I'm not drooling, I swear. 


Look at how cute the babies look with my old Mac "Archie's Girls" line. Man, I really wish they would bring those limited edition colours back! I miss them. Here's to hoping that if Riverdale does well, Mac comes out with a line based upon the show--I'm sensing a ton of darker shades that will be perfect and themed on all the leading ladies. Do you hear me, Mac? Make it happen.

As for more clothing I found whilst visiting various thrift shops, it's nothing all that spectacular. I went a bit sweater happy because A.) it's going to be cooler out soon and B.) sweaters were on sale for $3 at one of the thrift shops. The only exception to my sweater spree (or as I like to call it, The Great Sweater Spree of 2016) was a cute, pale pink lace dress that was brand new and still had its original tags on it. I'm pretty pleased with my purchases, though and can't wait to start wearing them out and about. I also purchased a new sweater dress from Forever 21 because it's this gorgeous orange shade that I've been looking for, for Autumn. 

(You can see that in the first picture of this post--it looks so nice with my hair now that it's darker and I lucked out because it's the perfect colour match for one of my Grandmother's old necklaces.)


They are all brands that I am familiar with: Forever 21, American Eagle and Vera Wang's juniors brand from Kohl's. Clearly, Forever 21 was the leader of the pack during this trip. What can I say? I'm predictable. Forever 21 owns my ass, I guess. 

You know how I'm always looking for books at a good price? I lucked out once more this trip. While I only found one release, it was the stunning Barnes and Noble leather bound edition of Little House. I'm always looking to expand my classics collection and with that coupon I was given, the price of this beauty was only around 50 cents

I'll let that sink in for a moment. 

Isn't it beautiful? I think I'm in love. I will take pictures ASAP of it on my shelf with the other leather bound classics I've accumulated through the years. 

Back to Forever 21, though. Has anyone been in the shops recently? I was all kinds of overwhelmed and hearts-in-eyes over a lot of things they had on display. I could do without the 1990s resurrection that is continuing in the fashion world right now, but I still was coveting a great deal of things. 

In particular, their plaids/flannels. There was also this cute AF dress with its collar and little lipsticks printed all over it. I know where my next paycheck is going! 

Need, need, need that dress! Now! 

Next up... beauty purchases! I actually did pretty decent at restraining myself these last few weeks when you compare it all to my overspending earlier this year. I'm a total makeup junkie and have this itching urge to try everything. All the products! I just covet so much in Ulta and Sephora. Although, my first topic isn't about either store at all. Rather, it's about BH Cosmetics. After hearing my good friend talk about her love of the brand, I got curious and gave it a go. 

I ordered their smokey eye palette, which was a TOTAL steal at $12 for 28 eyeshadows. Guys, I'm really impressed by it because the colours are all so soft and pigmented and who can say no to that price? The eyeshadows aren't those small, skimpy, rounds that typically come in palettes like this--it's so surprising how much is in it and I'm in love. My only weird note is that, for some reason, after I played around with it, two of the really shimmery shades sort of darkened in the palette. 

That's the palette before I even swatched it, mind you. Ugh, how pretty is it? I am so going to buy the other similar palettes. 

The last of my makeup roundup is another steal--Makeup Revolution's Fortune Favors the Brave palette, which retails around $15 at Ulta. I got it for around $12 because I had a 20% off coupon which is exciting. I'm not sure what I think of this one yet--I love the packaging and the way the shadows look in the case. It looks far more expensive than $15 and I've always heard great things about the quality of products at Makeup Revolution, but I'm a bit disappointed in the size of the shadows and the lack of pigment. 

I feel like all the mattes are all rather weak. But the other shades are super nice and soft, without being too powdery. For its price, it's a steal but it could have been so much better and I hope the more I play with it, the more it builds on me. Also, how cute does it look with my gold makeup bag, a tube of Too Faced lipstick and the ever-so luxurious The Thousandth Floor? I think this is one of my favourite Bookstagram photos I've ever done. 

Moment of silence for my full on freak out over Epic Reads (!!!) having reblogged this to their Tumblr and the author said she loved the shot and Alloy Entertainment commented on it as well! So, if you were wondering what that unexplainable squeal was about, it was just me losing my shit. You know how it goes. 

More makeup talk: because I'm never done talking about beauty products. I'm getting so bad. I'm doing a small walk through post towards the end of the year of all my favourite products that I've tried this year, whether they are new or not is irrelevant, but I've found a lot of goodies (there it goes again) for my ever hungry vanity table. These are just some of my favourites so far:

Too Faced's Shadow Insurance leads the pack. I refuse to use any eyeshadow primer besides this one--the $20 price is a bit steep for everyone at first, but the thing is... you use so little, this tube will last you all freaking year. I'm not making that up. I once made it six months with one of their deluxe sample sized freebies. Ulta's 21 Days of Beauty made me their bitch when it came to the Tarte Lip Sculptor; which was marked down for a steal at the start of the promotion. I got a couple of shades but my personal favourite is Harlequin--it's one of the best reds and looks incredibly luxurious on. 

Two eyeshadow palettes: Maybelline's The Rock Nudes (which is a huge, huge improvement on the other previous selections they had) is one of my favourite drugstore palettes this year because it's a great price and perfects a smokey eyed look. And I love, love, love smokey eyes. Yes, please!  

Second is The Balm's Meet Matt(e) Trimony Palette

Also known as my ultimate favourite new product this year. If you're like me, you're drawn to The Balm's delightful packaging and I finally went out there and splurged on a few products earlier this summer.  

The Balm is simply good products with incredibly quirky, cute packaging and creative names. I have loved every product I have tried so far from them (which, admittedly, isn't as much as I had hoped) and Meet Matt(e) is one of their most iconic products. Be it their old palette or a range of beautiful liquid lipsticks, it's the perfect product for any of us who love the look of matte. 

Honorable mentions: bareMineral's sheer lip friendly glosses (Marvelous Moxie) in the shade "Rule Breaker" (an incredible nude shade) and E.L.F.'s lip exfoliator, proving once again that you don't need a high end product to get excellent results. At only $3 a tube, it keeps your lips feeling smooth and kissable. Pair it up with your favourite balm, it's the treat your lip deserves after working hard with your favourite lipstick. 

It works incredibly well with the the last of my honourable mentions, Nyx's Lip Lingerie. Which I have four, well loved, colours: Exotic (my personal favourite), Embellishment, Push-Up and Baby Doll. The entire line is a must-have for matte lips this fall; there's a nude shade for everyone and they are truly beautiful.


All the rest... 

My favourite misc shots I took the last few weeks. Most have popped up on my Instagram (click here to follow me!) already, but that makes it no less fun to post them here as well. 

;

That about rounds it out for part one of this month--stay tuned next time for more books, makeup and fashion talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment