3:23 PM

divergent Divergent by Veronica Roth | Rating: ★★★★☆

“Becoming fearless isn’t the point. That’s impossible. It’s learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

Divergent is the first novel in a trilogy that holds the story of a choice and a whole lot of determination in a dystopian but familiar setting of Chicago told through the eyes of main character Tris Prior. It is something that was recommended to me through a friend on Tumblr, after we’d had a discussion about The Hunger Games and the trend it has started in many young adult plots.

One day I saw it on sale and picked up a copy for myself and my best friend due to our love of dystopian novels. We were, perhaps, looking for something to catch our attention in the way that The Hunger Games did. However, it is important to note and to always remember that although these stories have a similar setting, they aren’t the same. It’s a completely different story being told, and it is rather lovely.

There was a certain slowness for me at the start of the novel, that took me months and months to get past. I kept putting it down and picking it up and repeating these motions until I finally pushed myself to read the story. Although I wasn’t easily moved by the first chunk of novel, I did grow an interest in this world (perhaps, it is because of my love for present day Chicago) and their politics, as well as the determination I’d begun to see in Tris.


My love for her character began the second she’d made a big jump (ha, get it?) and only grew throughout the story. I sympathized with her during the bad parts of the novel and all the roadblocks thrown in her way. There’s something strong and fascinating about her mind that you find yourself attached to by the time you make your way through the story.

Typically, there has to be something really special in young adult stories to make me drawn to ships/couples/pairings (whatever it is you call them these days, readers!) and admittedly, there’s something special and warm about the pairing of Tris and Four. They have that connection, in my eyes, and it’s a lovely addition to the other plots in the book. I do hope to hear more on Four’s life.

And Tris.

And, well, every character featured in this novel.

I would also love to hear more about the factions and how this government was developed in fuller details to pair up with the downfall of these decisions and their world as they know it changing. Because, for me, there’s definitely something interesting in the backstory that could be told in so much more.

There’s something very fascinating about why each faction holds one virtue closer to their heart than another, and I think it’d be interesting to explore the why and how’s behind each meaning. And, ultimately, why this just does not work in a society.

I can’t wait to begin the rest of the trilogy. Even after one specific spoiler I stumbled upon a while back.

(Grumpy face.)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate