4:56 PM

siren The Siren by Kiera Cass | Rating: ★★☆☆☆ (2.5)

“There’s always room for love. Even if it’s as small as a crack in the door.”

As someone who has been a massive fan of Kiera Cass since the second I finished her The Selection series, it will come as no surprise to hear me say that I had looked forward to reading the revised edition of her first novel The Siren. It was only doubly appealing to think of all the mythology, the romance and the soothing and delectable tone her writing takes on.

Say what you will about the simplicity of it all, there’s just something so damn fun and appealing about the way her stories unfold. Kiera Cass is a romantic at heart and manages to put a hint of suspense in everything. If anything, this is something we should keep in mind–her prose is deeply satisfying in all its flaws and The Siren, though at times dull and rushed, is still a page turner and a simple read.

In fact, while it wasn’t my favorite read this year nor my favorite release by her, it is a grand addition to your summer reading list. There’s no guilt in reading it and it won’t take readers long to complete it.

The Siren is a tale of forbidden love, with mythology here and there to keep things going. I have to admit, I expected more of it and wished for more development. Sometimes, I felt the characters were likable but merely there and the dreamy tone didn’t offer much to help me. I also wasn’t that pleased by the relationship we witnessed–it was sweet, but a little too rushed and I just couldn’t get into it.


I also found myself wishing for more of the siren’s and their sisterhood and the bond they shared with the Ocean, who is a main character as well. I thought their family bond was a bit fascinating and I wished we had more backstory on who they were before they became sirens.

The mythology of what makes a siren is simple and pretty much like what you’ve heard before. But I wanted more of those aspects included into it. I thought it would be so much more than it was and it was rather disappointing.

As for our sirens–they were delightful. They were flawed and they truly love their “sisters”–but I wanted to hear more of their pasts, before they were saved by Ocean and it just felt off putting to me that we were told things about these girls but ultimately they felt like strangers to me.

In the end, The Siren just wasn’t all that memorable to me and a bit too rushed/random. Very underdeveloped.

It felt like it could have been so much more than it was and that’s what made me sad. I also wasn’t all that fond of the ending–this isn’t too say it wasn’t a happy ending, it just felt lackluster and the entire novel felt like an afterthought of wasted potential and while I had a certain fondness for it, I just wasn’t that into it.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate