Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

4:36 PM

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas | Rating: ★★★☆☆ (3.5)

“You could rattle the stars," she whispered. "You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.”

I should clarify right off the bat that I didn't hate Throne of Glass at all. If I am honest, it was compelling enough to want to continue the series but it didn't necessarily wow me as much as the incredible Sarah J. Mass' A Court of Thorns and Roses books did. You know what I mean? I enjoyed the novel as an introduction but I have one foot on the outside of the line just as a precaution.

That being said... I can't pinpoint the exact plotlines that just lacked compulsion for myself. I enjoyed the characters. The plots. The action. The mystery. The intrigue. But, but, but--some parts felt familiar even the first time I read Throne of Glass that combined both unique traits and lackluster, common ones. I felt that a lot could have been upgraded throughout each chapter and that because of this, more than a few moments dragged by slowly.

Besides the minor, obvious flaws: I still thought the novel was entertaining. Although many things felt like an echo of other stories, there were many more positives than negatives. The characters were awesome and I can't just pick out my favourites from a line-up. No favourite ships, no favourite characters, because all of them have this equally fulfilling chemistry and intrigue to them. I'm not saying that others don't, or won't, have their own favourites but for me what made Throne of Glass all the more enjoyable was because I seemed to have a level like for almost everything.

The world building was pretty great to! I can tell that it's just setting the stage for the rest of the world and characters and can't wait to see as it expands. What strikes me most about the way that Sarah J. Maas creates her settings is that they are vivid and the ultimate fantasy. She could literally describe a shack that is caving in and I'd be like, damn, this is beautifully written. Looking at her words is like seeing a painting before your eyes--what she says, you see. And feel.

Which leads us to mystery: what the frickity frack is happening?! That! Ending! I'm kind of in tears a bit? First of all, how is it that I'm so in love with a character who is an assassin? I feel a moral crisis coming on but Celaena is the most compelling part of the novel. She is devilishly dark and a real treat to read about because there are all those layers that you want to peel back and you just don't know what parts of her you'll get.

You'll really root for her to get out of this little game alive and well, who says you can't wrap up an assassin and snuggle her for protection. Right?

Chaol, Dorian, Nehemia are all just as compelling as Celaena but we know them quite a bit less than her. Once again, Sarah J. Maas writes a cast of characters that are more than just background noise to our narrator. They all fit well together and are part of a bigger picture. Plus, as per usual, you're not certain who to trust--or if you should trust anyone.

Ultimately, I loved the action aspects most of Throne of Glass with the characters coming in at a close second. I will gladly ignore the flaws and tropes to pursue the second book and I'm ever so grateful that I've given it another chance because it's just entertainment at its finest.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate