Top Ten Tuesday: Platonic Relationships in Books (#18)

5:14 PM

We're going 98% THROWBACK on this one, kids. 


For those of you who are new to my blog, or the book blogging community, Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the Artsy Reader Girl, originating over at the Broke and the Bookish, and is exactly what its title hints at. Each week we're given a topic to explore in our entries.

When I fist saw this weeks theme I thought, "THIS IS GOING TO BE EASY!"

As I started to write down platonic relationships, though, I realized... it kind of wasn't? So, I decided to approach it just slightly different than how I intended: Top Platonic Relationships in Books That Have Been Adapted. Then, I surprised myself further in the fact that most of these are old school (for me) because they are almost all from series that have long-since wrapped up or just that I grew up with.

What can I say? I'm nostalgic. And these friendships (or families) are my weaknesses.




10. Harry Potter and Hermione Granger
Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not. I know a lot of people shipped them romantically (and the films almost toyed with the idea of them) but I never found them to be especially appealing as a couple. That being said, their friendship is one of the loveliest ones of all time. And Deathly Hallows only proved that, when, for a time, it was just the two of them. 

Besides, who wouldn't want to have Hermione Granger as a best-friend? 

09. Betty Cooper and Veronica Lodge 

They are the OG best-friends-who-occasionally-turn-into-enemies. I am pretty sure I will always love them in every form. Not only do we have a world of Archie-based comics and cartoons, we still have Riverdale. Which, true, has its faults. I remember being very little and telling my childhood best-friend that she was my Veronica. Even now, although we aren't friends, if we see each other it's a running joke to refer to each other as such.

08. Simon Lewis/Lovelace and Clary Fray/Fairchild
The Shadowhunter Chronicles by Cassandra Clare 

Oh, I miss them! 

And, sure, they dated for like a hot minute so they aren't entirely platonic. 

But... they're platonic, okay? Just accept it. 

 07. Rosalie Hale, Bella Swan and Alice Cullen 
Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer 

This is more wishful thinking than anything, because their relationships with one another weren't exactly descriptive. Alice/Bella and Alice/Rosalie had a good bond, but the one between Rosalie/Bella wasn't altogether there until the later books and even then it just was underwhelming. 

Twilight may not be my cup of tea anymore, but there was a time where I spent so much time reading Twilight fanfiction that developed a friendship between these three. And as they are family now, I like to think they are BFFs and a full on trio.

06. Ginny Weasley and Hermione Granger
Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling

TOTAL besties. My only complaint is that we never got enough of them. Both in the books and in the films. What we did get of them, the fact that they shared so much with each other despite Hermione being more tied into the golden trio, was brilliant though. 

Obligatory "the films butchered the character of Ginny Weasley and I will never forgive them for it!" statement. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. 

05. The Liars 
(Emily Fields, Hanna Marin, Spencer Hastings and Aria Montgomery)
Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard 

I feel a little weird using a gif of the show, instead of focusing on their book appearances, even if it's tied into my theme of books that have been adapted. These ladies are WONDERFUL and totally fit the roles but the only one who looks a bit like her book counterpart is Lucy Hale's Aria. 

That being said, the show did a much better job at exploring their bond. This doesn't mean the book isn't good at it, we just saw less of it because they were estranged for a good chunk of the series. By the final half of the book series, however, their friendship was beautiful. I'll never forget in the books when Hanna finds out Emily didn't die. 

The ultimate OT4! 

 04. Isabelle Lightwood and Clary Fray/Fairchild 
The Shadowhunters Chronicles by Cassandra Clare

While, like the PLL ladies, the show did a better job at developing a bond between these two ladies, I still really appreciate the little glimpses we did get of the two in Cassandra Clare's beloved series. I was always a little disappointed by the two not bonding straight away in the books, just because it would have been a nice addition to the story to have them bond. However, as the series progressed, I really enjoyed seeing them slowly come to understand and respect one another. I like to imagine they are total besties. 

 03. Blair Waldorf and Serena Van der Woodsen 
Gossip Girl Series by Cecily von Ziegesar 

Honestly, sometimes I doubted that these two were platonic! And they did kiss in the books! 

While they weren't the most healthy of friendships in the books or the show (especially the show--but that seemed to be the theme of it, anyways: unhealthy) this was the first F/F friendship that stuck with me after Betty and Veronica. I'll always have a soft spot for them. 

And the books ended in a far superior way than the show. After years of feuding on and off over Nate Archibald, these two not only decide to put themselves first as adults... they decide their friendship is worth far more than ANY guy they'd ever dated.

 02. Katniss and Primrose Everdeen
The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins 

This pair of sisters were truly one of the most touching ones I've seen in YA fiction. I'm still devastated by where the story took them in the end. Who could ever forget that Katniss literally sacrificed her life for her little sister--just to keep her safe. This was one of the most important (no, the most important) relationship in the trilogy and the fact was often overlooked by some fans. 

This is the sister bond that taught us unconditional love, hope and pain. 

 01. The Song Sisters
(Lara Jean, Margot and Kitty)
To All the Boys I've Loved Before Trilogy by Jenny Han

I had a serious internal argument with myself over the placement of these three and the Everdeen sisters. Honestly, as I was writing this post, I kept switching the two. They are very different (but no less wonderful) portrayals of family and it was a massive back-and-forth moment for me. That being said, I ranked them as #1 in this post for two reasons: 

1. THAT GIF. Look at them. Softies.  
2. WARM AND FUZZIES. I needed it. 
They are definitely the newest addition to my list of platonic relationships, but there's something about these three that makes me adore them SO MUCH. 
What are some of your favourite platonic relationships in books, film or television? 
Do you have any relationships that you liked better on screen vs. on page? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate