4:51 PM

mc The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins | Rating: ★★★★☆

The Library at Mount Char, penned by Scott Hawkins, was at the top of my to-read list this year due to its intriguing and dark description. It sounded completely mental and just the right amount of creepy. Who can resist something like that, right? Summaries can often be weak and lack that spark to captivate your interest, but this one will surely catch readers eyes instantly.

Plus, how cool is that cover?

Something about it made my skin crawl in all the right ways and basically sealed the deal for me. It was like I couldn’t look away and I hadn’t even read it yet. The Library at Mount Char was calling me from the very start.

So listen to that gut instinct that tells you “read this, read this!” if the description intrigues you–it’s totally worth it.

The Library at Mount Char was dark, mysterious and yes–a little weird; but this is what made reading it such a joy. I was on the edge of my seat constantly; confused, frightened, thrilled and all that good stuff. I didn’t quite know what to expect from it, at times I resembled a very confused emoji, but I did know I was enjoying myself immensely.


You’ll recognize right away why Hawkins is described and compared as someone quite similar to Neil Gaiman.

I think fans of Gaiman will flock to Hawkins’ writing and get drawn in. And let me just say that yes, Scott Hawkins has a fantastical and spooky prose that is similar to his. But let’s just get this out of the way: it’s all in a league of its own and will make you a massive fan of Hawkins.

I had so many moments of confusion and excitement and found myself equally disturbed at other times. I had many questions within the first chapter or two and felt my heart pounding. What is happening? What will happen next? And can somebody please explain to me what I just read?

God, it was so intriguing. All of these emotions--the chills, thrills, conflicts--it all holds the mark of a fantastic storyteller. Scott Hawkins, I'm not kidding: you've got a fan in me.

And yes, if you were wondering, a majority of questions are answered by the end. So try your hardest to stick through the novel and embrace that ending.

EMBRACE. IT.

It will not, I repeat, it will not be for everyone because it is quite graphic and has its gory moments; if these things frighten you too much, if scary stories aren’t a genre you can stomach… DO NOT TOUCH THIS ONE!

I mean it guys. Do. Not. Touch. This. If. You. Frighten. Easily. Are we clear? I hope so.

I had a feeling I would enjoy this novel. I just didn’t know how much I would. I haven’t stopped thinking about it since I put it down. Although it was released in the summer, it is the perfect fit for the autumn months and will surely captivate readers who are looking for something to read this October.

I would recommend it to anyone (who is without a weak stomach and focused for a long ride) looking for their next spook, their next obsession or something new to read.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate