Gossip Girl (Book Series) by Cecily von Ziegesar: A Blerena Picspam

4:13 PM

The other day, I was thinking back to the Gossip Girl books. Which is something I often do, seeing as it remains one of my favorites. Oh, I know. Blah, blah, blah, Jessica likes trashy and nostalgic young adult lit from her preteen/teenage years. Blah, blah, blah, she's going to complain about how it didn't get a good adaptation or how much she enjoyed the books more than the show. Snooze, I'm bored already by myself and I'm sure you lot are as well. 

Thinking about it all, I made a minor edit that I felt reflected an aesthetic portrayed in all of the novels and the friendship of Blair/Serena. And then my favorite quote or narration from both girls. 

Because of fucking course I did, guys.

Which you can reblog here or simply view it in this post. Follow the cut for some brief thoughts.
They chose each other.

After rereading the series in its entirety earlier this year, I couldn't help but think of the relationship between Blair Waldorf and Serena van der Woodsen and the televisions series' failure to include major themes of it and instead focusing solely on the dysfunctional "I love you, you're my best friend!" and "I hate you, you attention hogging bitch!" circles they went around and around without ever really completely learning--there were so many things that the show neglected in the so-called adaptation (which was still pretty fun, sexy and stylish, mind you and perhaps a bit more polished) but I often zero in on that relationship and how it was butchered in some ways while it was fixed up in others.


It goes beyond the missing/infamous "YOU KNOW YOU LOVE ME!" kiss. For me, it boils down to that these two loved each other so much that after years of feuding (namely over Nate Archibald) the girls chose their friendship over any relationship. They chose their friendship, to embrace it and live their 20s like, well, normal 20 year old friends. And I absolutely loved that--after all the fights and the stupid backstabbing, they finally grew up and realized they didn't need a boyfriend; they only needed their best friend.

Endgames are all well and good when it comes to romantic subplots, and in a series as fueled by love/scandal like Gossip Girl it is obvious why the show chose to end its run with marriages or whatever. I get it, they had a certain fanbase to cater to that never jumped ship like a good chunk of the original fans of both the show and the books. Fan service, yay! Years after the shows end, I've gotten over it and accepted it in some ways but it still remains a bit bothersome/cheap that they didn't at least try to follow the books or its endgame plan. 

One of the only things I liked about the final/sequel novel I Will Always Love You was that they incorporated things from both the books and the show and left an air of possibility at the end. It wasn't the best book in the series and it wasn't even written by Cecily, but I liked that it catered to fans of both takes of Gossip Girl. And the endgame? Sigh. It was perfect and realistic and full of so much possibility. 

What a shame.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate