Review: I Am More Than a Daydream by Jennae Cecelia

6:01 PM

I Am More Than a Daydream by Jennae Cecelia | Rating:  ★★★★☆ (4.5)

I wish I could be as bold
as the people who spend
the twilight hours
with their lights on and
curtains wide open.
The people who do not fear of who
is peering in on their belongings and
personal moments exchanged.
-I prefer my do not disturb signs


It's important to note that I am a huge poetry reader. I love poems in all sizes and from many, many voices. One of the only qualities I look to when seeking out new collections is simple: emotion. If you write with a voice that moves me, it is likely I will fall in love with the words you write. I Am More Than a Daydream by Jennae Cecelia is one of those collections.

Thought provoking, moving and highly intelligent--I am very thrilled to say that this is my first glimpse of anything penned be Jennae Cecelia. Although the collection is short, and the prose is simple, it leaves you feeling a great many things. All poetry comes from such an intimate place, it's beyond me to see it as anything short of a piece of our souls. Sometimes, the most powerful poems come from a short (but no less vibrant) place in our minds or hearts and I Am More Than a Daydream is an example of that.


From the moment I picked up my Kindle and dived into this series of poetry, I knew it was going to be something special. If I had purchased a physical copy, I don't think a single page would be without a neon highlight/tab. You know within the first few poems that you are reading a piece of someone that is magical and beautiful, by the end you feel like you've got something to say. By reading other peoples voices, we find bits of ourselves in the process of getting to know the way other minds work. I think this is my favourite thing about Jennae Cecelia's prose: it makes you feel for yourself and for her.

Which... at the end of the day, that's what poetry should always be.

That being said, there's that sense of honesty in each poem that provides readers with growth. There's a lot that will give you that buzz of energy and an uplifting quality. It's relatable. It gives us a nudge in the right direction. I Am More Than a Daydream deserves to be one of the next greats in the poetry community because of it. You cannot beat something so small carrying such a heavy weight of meaning. And this one is a can't-miss-voice.

Oh, there's so much to be said and so much to be praised about this one but I can't touch base on all of it because then you'll miss out on a truly wonderful experience. I've already recommended it to my friends and co-workers and will continue to do so before the year is over. I've got my eyes on Jennae Cecelia--and so should you.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate