A Sapphic Rom-Com with a Hefty Dose of Angst | Review: Tell Me How You Really Feel by Aminah Mae Safi

5:30 AM

One of YA's most anticipated releases this year! Was Tell Me How You Really Feel the sapphic rom-com of our dreams?


About

Sana Khan is a cheerleader and a straight A student. She's the classic (somewhat obnoxious) overachiever determined to win.

Rachel Recht is a wannabe director who's obsesssed with movies and ready to make her own masterpiece. As she's casting her senior film project, she knows she's found the perfect lead - Sana.

There's only one problem. Rachel hates Sana. Rachel was the first girl Sana ever asked out, but Rachel thought it was a cruel prank and has detested Sana ever since.

Told in alternative viewpoints and inspired by classic romantic comedies, this engaging and edgy YA novel follows two strongwilled young women falling for each other despite themselves.
 



Tell Me How You Really Feel by Aminah Mae Safi 
Rating: ★★★☆☆ (3.5)

Okay, first of all, dang. DANG. Tell Me How You Really Feel was SO freaking enjoyable and fun and angsty and sweet. We're truly living in the era of great YA contemporaries, aren't we? THIS IS ANOTHER BOOK I WISH I HAD WHEN I WAS A TEENAGER. But, I'm even more grateful that it's here now and teenagers now are able to get their hands on it now. It gave me some serious feelings and that's all I could ask for.

Let's talk positives and check points. Tell Me How You Really Feel had a lot going for it in terms of representation. Sapphic? Check. Opposites attract? CHECK. Diverse? Check! Characters who clash and have flaws and are perfectly human? Oh, yes, check. Funny and heartfelt? CHECK, CHECK, CHECKITY CHECK.

Ignore the fact that I just said check, check, checkity check I'm very sorry I'm just really hyped. Can you blame me? Look at that cover. Sorry. Let's get back on track, here.

Even though I had mixed feelings about the writing and other little moments, and I keep bouncing around on my actual star rating, I still walked away from reading this with a silly little grin on my face because there's something so lovable about it. Although it is flawed, it never takes away from how fun reading it is. I was constantly scoffing at certain scenes. I was constantly rooting for Sana and Rachel, despite any rough patches.

And believe me, there were A LOT of rough patches and cringy moments where the characters made me want to howl in frustration or something. Hear me out... this made them feel all the more real, for me.

As for the relationship? Listen. I'm kind of trash for enemies-to-lovers tropes, now. So, I loved how the main relationship progressed. It had its flaws. It had its highs. Everything about it felt solid and firmly developed. Tell Me How You Really Feel is more than its flaws and if you stick with it, it will certainly satiate any and all needs for a fun rom-com readers might have.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate