4:43 PM

trc1 The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater | Rating: ★★★★★

"She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own."

After months and months of procrastination and hearing nothing but good things about the series from friends, I finally found myself reading the first installment of The Raven Cycle: The Raven Boys. Those who frequent the book community have all heard the hype for this series and can’t help but to be intrigued by it.

I’d purchased the already published books in the series back in April as an Easter treat for myself but I hadn’t found the time to start them – I was almost holding off until the final book was in print, for binge reading purposes, but because it is slated for a release in 2016 I’d decided to finally get off my ass and check it out.

And honestly? I’m sure glad I did. It was enjoyable from start to finish and one can quickly see why it’s as well received as it is. This is my first book experience with the phenomenally talented Maggie Stiefvater and I’m glad it was. She has a way with words, truly, and it just blew me away.

The Raven Boys is the perfect opening novel for any series and authors everyone should take notice. It’s dark, vivid, mysterious, magical and, yes, a little bit frightening.


There’s never a dull moment in it and Maggie’s writing is beyond incredible; she is a true storyteller and a voice that was sorely needed in young adult fiction.

Wrap up the thrilling aspect of the plots and tie it together with a cast of wonderful characters and you’ve got the makings of an epic series. It’s easy to fall into their world and their thoughts and marvel at the bond they share with each other. By the end of the book you’ll love Blue and each of her boys.

We’re engaged in the story right off the bat and I can’t believe it took me as long as it did to pick it up. I could not, would not, put the book down until I finished. It was so impossible to stop myself. I was so intrigued by the characters and by the desire of their quest.

I was heartbroken when we learn about Noah’s past. And who wouldn’t be? I was intrigued by our private school boys and Blue and the psychics who reside at 300 Fox Way. I am thoroughly invested in their lives, their quest and their fates.

There are so many layers to the story that it would be impossible for me to explain it. But the bottom line is that The Raven Boys is a must read for anyone. I’ve already got an inkling that this will be on my favorite book series list and it could very well be on yours too.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate