Top Ten Tuesday: Changes in My Reading Life (#67)

11:00 PM

Speaking of changes, YES, I *did* already ditch my autumn TTT banner. I just really didn't like it. I'm also not terribly satisfied with this one. So, it's likely going to change again before December. Oopsies.

For those of you who are new to my blog, or the book blogging community, Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, originating over at the Broke and the Bookish, and is exactly what its title hints at. Each week we're given a topic to explore in our entries.  

How often do each of us change? 

Sometimes, little things have the power to change us everyday. Sometimes, the most simple of changes comes in the form of our ever-evolving taste. As the years go by, I grow more and more aware of these changes. We all do.

In the case of books, I seem to go through phases depending on my mood. I'm the type of person that has no real gray area in terms of habits--I either follow a routine or grow so fickle that I jump around from one thing to another.

And every phase brings a new change.

More Series vs. Standalone Novels 
This can bounce back at any given point because I do genuinely just love reading. The last few years, however, I've been more likely to read book series (of any size) instead of standalones. This doesn't mean that I never read standalones anymore! I do! There's just this part of me that hates when things end or when I feel like I didn't get enough time with characters.
More Non-Fiction 
Aside from true crime and the occasional poetry collection, I didn't used to read so much non-fiction. I struggled with them, really. There's not a lot more to say about non-fiction except I really enjoy it now--I think that came with age and time. It wasn't my time to appreciate non-fiction, until now.
Less Classics 
Back when I first got into classic literature, it was hard for me to read anything but the classics. My way of thinking was, sure, I *want* to read this new release but I also *need* to reread Wuthering Heights for the 167th* time. I have a fondness for them, but I seem to be reading quite a few less than I once did. I still read classic literature quite frequently, but it seems to have lessened a lot.

*Obviously I haven't read it THAT much. 
I Reread A lot More
When I started reading, I couldn't really afford a lot of books. I grew up in a smaller city (although, it has grown exceptionally in the last decade) so our library was fairly tiny. This made me reread a lot of books--mostly Harry Potter, Gossip Girl, and basically everything by Lois Duncan and Lurlene McDaniel--at the time. Once I started making money of my own, and gained access to a larger library, I began to reread less and explored new titles. We're talking I went about five years without rereading anything. Now, I've come a bit full circle and reread as frequently as possible.
More Romance
I'm not the most in-touch-with-her-emotions type of gal. I went from reading a lot of romance as a hormonal teenager (which was, naturally, mostly smutty fanfiction) to reading absolutely no romance and back again. What can I say? There's so much good in the genre and I definitely have a lot of my fellow bloggers to thank for getting me back into it. Side note? I'm sensing a trend in my changes--everything sort of slowly reverts back to its origins.

Find me on Instagram and/or Twitter.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate