Most Anticipated Releases of 2018 (So Far!)

11:17 PM

It's hard to believe we are nearly through with the second month of 2018.

There's something blurry about life. Sometimes, the older that you get, you can't help but to feel like time is passing way too quickly. Then, there's the days where time trickles by so slowly and you just want, want, want a specific date to come around. In the case of any literature lover, those days we're prone to counting down for are upcoming release dates for books we're itching to read.

2018 is shaping up to be yet another brilliant year of publications. My wallet is already glaring at me in distress. We all have our eyes on specific titles--these are my most anticipated release of 2018 so far. I'm going to narrow it down to the books that will be released up until the summer-time, just so I don't overdo it!

Enough chit-chat. Let's get to the book part. 





MISS SUBWAYS by DAVID DUCHOVNY (May 1st, 2018)

Known primarily for his work in The X-Files, Twin Peaks, Californication and Aquarius, David Duchovny is one of the most talented actors of his generation. As his career expands to both literature and song-writing (with both a new album and book out this year!), it becomes more and more apparent how versatile he truly is. In his past two publications, he's shown that he is someone to look out for in the book community--Miss Subways promises to be just as satisfying as Bucky F*cking Dent and Holy Cow. Duchovny is the type of author you soak up and consider his words for months after finishing.

THE FRENCH GIRL by LEXIE ELLIOTT (February 20th, 2018): 

There's something so very delectable about a good psychological thriller. We've seen countless take on a very familiar formula throughout our lives--and in the better part of a decade, there's been a surge of titles claiming to be the next big-thing--which means you may be thinking, "Well, what could possibly be different about The French Girl?" The answers may surprise you. Without spoiling readers before the book is officially published, I'd say that you should expect a lot of depth in this stunning novel by Lexie Elliot. The French Girl is thrilling, fascinating at its core, mysterious and full of a slow-burn you'll never quite get out of your system. This is the kind of book that slowly grows and gets under your skin.

ALPHAS LIKE US by KRISTA & BECCA RITCHIE (March 13th, 2018): 

The Ritchie Twins know how to rock the NA genre with steamy romance, bonds of friendship that only grow with time and all the complexities that make our early adult years, well, human. It's what sets them apart from many of their contemporaries. And not many authors can pull off sequels or spin-offs off but Krista and Becca prove they're more than up to the task time and time again. Alphas Like Us continues the lovestory of Moffy and Farrow that began shortly ago in Damaged Like Us, and I--for one--can't wait to see where life brings them next. I also am pretty stoked to catch up with the OG core characters--any small glimpse of Lily, Lo, Rose, Connor, Daisy and Ryke is a total fist pump moment for me.

THE CASE FOR JAMIE by BRITTANY CAVALLARO (March 6th, 2018):

I never expected to become so enamored with a new YA series in my mid-twenties but that's exactly what happened when I picked up the first installment of Cavallaro's modern day spin on Sherlock Holmes. The Charlotte Holmes series is the perfect adaptation of one of literature's most beloved detectives. Brittany Cavallaro captures the essence of what makes a teenager tick whilst spinning her own mysterious tales in a way that feels undeniably classic. Further, I love the fact that in her series--Sherlock and John were real people and historical figures; Jamie and Charlotte are their relatives, who, team up in a way that is reminiscent of the legacy of Holmes and Watson. There was something so compelling about the previous two installments, that I already know I'm going to trip over myself to pick up a copy of The Case for Jamie.

THE FEMALE PERSUASION by MEG WOLITZER (April 3rd, 2018): 

Meg Wolitzer's latest offering promises to spark something in her audience. We could always use more novels that are centered around the inspiration which women find in each other; the power of friendship, the good, the bad, the difficulties of life at any age. Whether it stands the test of time and has the markings of a real-life glimpse, or holds true to what feminism stands for, is up in the air. But, I am still excited to nab a copy of The Female Persuasion to give it a go!

LEGENDARY by STEPHANIE GARBER (May 29th, 2018): 

Caraval was one of my favourite YA releases last year, so it should come as no shock that I'm tripping over myself to get my hands on its sequel. Caraval combined everything good about YA literature and captivated me instantly. Perfect for fans of The Night Circus and Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Stephanie Garber is one of THE voices in YA fiction you should be looking out for. I had a lot of questions after the final pages of Caraval last year and have been waiting to (hopefully!) get some answers in Legendary. I'm ready for more magical prose, heart pounding plots and, as the kids say, all the feels! No, I'm totally not making grabby hands at my computer screen. I don't know what you guys are talking about!


FEEL FREE by ZADIE SMITH (February 6th, 2018*):

This month saw the release of Zadie Smith's hotly anticipated collection of essays. Feel Free promises readers the real treat of Zadie Smith's prose; her essays are ever-brilliant and completely moving. The sign of a true writer is expertise in bringing attention to any topic and that's exactly what Smith does as a novelist and an essayist. Zadie Smith's talent knows no bounds and she is one of the greatest voices in modern literature, end sentence. Every essay found in Feel Free has that spark of intelligence, charisma and honesty, that is required to accurately portray life in essays.



WITCHMARK by C.L. POLK (June 19th, 2018): 

C.L. Polk's Witchmark appears to be the perfect summer-time fantasy novel and a stellar introduction to an all-new series. I'm a complete sucker for any fantasy novel that takes place in a world that shadows our own but still remains something entirely different. And there's really no going around that. You can take me away from magical based fiction all you want but I always find my way back to it--I'm a kid at heart and there's just something about Witchmark that appeals both to the child version of me and the 27 year old me. The blurb alone has me jumping up and down, asking, "ARE WE THERE YET?"


SPEAK NO EVIL by UZODINMA IWEALA (March 6th, 2018): 

Speak No Evil is described as a coming of age tale that is explored deftly and with care. It explores the questions of sexual identity in a frank way and Uzodinma Iweala has proven time and time again how clever he is in writing. There's something very special and mindful about Speak No Evil that will keep your attention. A good book parallels real life complexities and has you questioning it in various ways, all depending on the subject matter. In terms of Speak No Evil, you're not going to walk away feeling steady and instead will wander through your mind a bit more to digest everything you've read. I love it and so will many others. 



A GIRL LIKE THAT by TANAZ BHATHENA (February 27th, 2018): 

One of the most anticipated YA debuts of the year is Tanaz Bhathena's intriguing novel A Girl Like That. Promising to be deeply moving, this mysterious and poignant novel appears to be the sort of book that sticks with you for life. No topic of youth--or life--is untouched in A Girl Like That, and if early buzz is any indication; this book is going to be a modern classic for its riveting prose and raw honesty of "those girls" everyone thinks they know in their lives. Sure to be striking, I have a feeling we're going to be hearing a lot from this book and author. 

GIVE ME YOUR HAND by MEGAN ABBOTT (July 17th, 2018): 

Megan Abbott is--like David Duchovny, Paula Hawkins, Kate Morton and Gillian Flynn--one of my favourite (adult) fiction authors, ever. There's something so frantic about her work--the pacing, the prose, the mystery. Every book that I've read from her has come away from me with a dozen highlights and notes because no one can portray women, in particular young girls, like she does. She is one of the best modern day authors and never fails to make me feel everything. Give Me Your Hand is shaping up to be one of her best psychological thrillers and frankly, that's saying something. Abbott has never been one to shy away from twists and turns. I can't wait to see what she has up her sleeve in this new release. I'm ready to be tense from how it all unfolds.



THE COMEDOWN by REBEKAH FRUMKIN (April 17th, 2018): 

Rebekah Frumkin's novel The Comedown is, perhaps, the newest addition to my most anticipated list but I can already tell it's one that I'm going to pounce on the day that it's released. You know that feeling you get when you read the blurb of a book and you just think, wow, yes, this is mine. Some of my favourite pieces of literature are the kinds that span through timelines and generations, tangling people and events together in a way that feels instantly classic; The Comedown promises to follow that formula and tackle an array of topics. I'm ready to be breathless.



ASK ME ABOUT MY UTERUS  by ABBY NORMAN (March 6th, 2018): 

The older I get, the more I've discovered about my body--what is ignored, what is explored, what is decidedly somewhere in between. Abby Norman's blurb alone speaks to me on a very personal level, as I've struggled with many issues that she is to discuss in Ask Me About My Uterus. Including horrific cramping that is more like a series of flu like symptoms, weakness, the inability to get out of bed on the worst of days, and a few diagnosis and treatments (see: U.T.I. and other infections that weren't actually present in my body despite the likeness in symptoms)  that weren't accurate by any means. It's always wonderful to see women like me who are able to elaborate on these symptoms and the journey that comes with them. They make you feel less alone.



What are some of your most-anticipated books for 2018?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate