Underrated Series Tag: 13 Series I Hear Very Little About

2:01 PM

Because sometimes, we don't talk about the good in lesser known series.
Underrated/Under-appreciation Series Tag!

Happy Sunday, everyone! I'm currently mourning the loss of the weekend and feeling a bit chatty. And last night, I couldn't help but to think that there were so many series out there that I just don't hear much about. Which may or may not be because I just don't follow enough book lovers in the community. It led me to wonder just how many series you guys have heard of, or love, or want to read, that seem to slip under the radar when it comes to readers.

Which is why I'm encouraging you to steal this post/theme and send me your favourite under loved reads. I'm choosing to focus on series, but feel free to include anything you want to. Series, graphic novels x comics or standalone novels--the sky is the limit and no genre is off limit.

I find that talking about our favourites is a great way of getting to know one another. And the perk of it all is walking away with something new to look into.

Both of which, I'm ALWAYS down for. Aren't you?

As for the theme of underrated series, I had to pause to figure out if I really wanted to refer to it as such. I went around in circles trying to dream up a title for this post but it turns out the Creativity Goblin ate all my good thoughts and ideas. RIP, Jessica's Creativity 1991-2018.

(Really, though all my good thoughts are being saved up for the music related post that Queen Loretta at Laughing Listener tagged me in earlier this weekend.)

So, it was between "I Made A Post About Underrated Books and All I Got Was a Lousy Wrist Ache" and "Wow, Books" and somehow, I turned right on Generic Title lane and thought, what the heck, let's go with Underrated Series Tag. Because that's totally never, ever been used, right? And finally this post was born in a haze of Coopers Hawk White Sangria.

Did I brainstorm into my phone app while out with friends last night? Am I a mess? Maybe. But more on that tonight on... 

 

Listen, while I've got you here, most of the time I try not to think of overrated as a concept because, in my mind, it doesn't even really exist. #hangoverthoughts It just kind of, sort of, relies on the fact that taste is subjective, and we all have our ideas/preferences of what makes something good, and what some people love, you might not always love.

I'll stop babbling now--let's get down to business and talk book.
  
On-Going Series You Should Be Reading
 
The Black Ice Trilogy by Mikayla Elliot 

This is a new series to me. I requested the first two books on Net Galley earlier this year and I am about half way through book one and all-the-way hooked. 

Earthsinger Chronicles by L. Penelope

The same can be said for the Earthsinger Chronicles. I only recently began to read this series and Song of Blood & Stone was so thrilling, my heart is still trying to right itself. I can't wait to get my hands on the second!

The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton

I know, I know, this isn't really underrated. And it has some problematic elements to it in the kill-your-gays trope, but I still thought it was worth mentioning because it doesn't get the credit it deserves for the good in it. The Everlasting Rose is one of my most anticipated forthcoming reads. 

The Raging Ones Duology by Krista & Becca Ritchie

Jessica including a Ritchie Squared novel? *Pretends to be shocked* Look, we all know they are #mygirls and the Addicted x Calloway Sisters x Like Us series is one of my ride or dies, and The Raging Ones is just as fun. I can't wait for The Last Hope.


Whims of Fae by Nissa Leder 

Is 98% of my life spent stepping up to a microphone to proclaim my love for Whims of Fae? Maybe so. Will I continue doing it? Uh-huh. 'Nuff said. 


Haunted Hearts Legacy by A.G. Howard 

Pretty sure A.G. Howard is the only author that will appear on this list twice. I can't help it--she's one of my favourite authors ever. While I unfortunately have only been able to read The Architect of Song, I'm so looking forward to getting my hands on the rest of the series. 


Completed Series You Should Be Reading 

Splintered by A.G. Howard

Am I obsessed with A.G. Howard's work? Well. Uh. About that...

 

The Conqueror's Saga by Kiersten White

Another more recent read. And I Darken was one of my favourite reads this year that wasn't released in 2018. I'm going to need to binge read Now I Rise and Bright We Burn ASAP. I don't hear nearly enough about this series. Shame on you, universe!

Kingdom on Fire by Jessica Cluess

Me when I first read A Shadow Bright and Burning: I WOULD DIE FOR YOU. I still haven't gotten my hands on the sequels but when I do, it's OVER for you b*tches. (Do the kids still say that? Take a drink every time I ask, "Do the kids still say that?") 



The War of Princes by A.R. Ivanovich

I'm not huge on steampunk stories. BUT! A couple years back, Alloy sent me the entire War of Princes series and I may or may not have read it in one weekend. We're talking, Jessica barely moved a whole ass weekend. 
 
 The Illumination Paradox by Jacqueline Garlick 

Another similar note: the year I was sent The War of Princes, I also got my hands on the first two books in The Illumination Paradox and I'm still thinking about it.


Series I Plan On Reading
The Fourth Element Trilogy by Kat Ross

Synopsis 

They are the light against the darkness.
The steel against the necromancy of the Druj.
And they use demons to hunt demons….


Nazafareen lives for revenge. A girl of the isolated Four-Legs Clan, all she knows about the King's elite Water Dogs is that they leash wicked creatures called daevas to protect the empire from the Undead. But when scouts arrive to recruit young people with the gift, she leaps at the chance to join their ranks. To hunt the monsters that killed her sister.

Scarred by grief, she's willing to pay any price, even if it requires linking with a daeva named Darius. Human in body, he's possessed of a terrifying power, one that Nazafareen controls. But the golden cuffs that join them have an unwanted side effect. Each experiences the other's emotions, and human and daeva start to grow dangerously close.

As they pursue a deadly foe across the arid waste of the Great Salt Plain to the glittering capital of Persepolae, unearthing the secrets of Darius's past along the way, Nazafareen is forced to question his slavery—and her own loyalty to the empire. But with an ancient evil stirring in the north, and a young conqueror sweeping in from the west, the fate of an entire civilization may be at stake…

So begins an epic story of adventure, romance and betrayal that leads to undiscovered magical realms and a final confrontation with a demon queen bent on destroying them all. 


The Countenance by Addison Moore 

Synopsis 

In the grand scheme of things, you’ll be dead a lot longer than you’ll ever be alive.

The last thing Laken Stewart remembers is the oncoming car, then bursting through the windshield.
Two months dissolve without her knowledge and she finds herself in unfamiliar surroundings with strangers who not only profess to know her but insist she’s someone else entirely.

Laken discovers her long dead boyfriend, Wesley, has been thrown into this alternate world as well. He is quick to inform her she suffered a horrible fall and that her memory hasn’t fully returned. According to Wesley the other life she had—her name, her family, they were simply a side effect of her brain trauma.
In her quest for answers she meets Cooper Flanders, the son of her psychiatrist who readily believes every word she says.

Laken Stewart knows she died on that hot July afternoon, but now she’s alive—or is she?

  • What underrated series do you wish would get more recognition?  
  • What's on your TBR pile? I'm all ears/eyes.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate