Top Ten Tuesday: Favourite Things to Eat/Drink While Reading (#58)

11:07 PM

This weeks Top Ten Tuesday is here and it was a total tough one for me! Favourite Things to Eat/Drink While Reading? I'm lucky that I remember to eat complete meals every day.

For those of you who are new to my blog, or the book blogging community, Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, originating over at the Broke and the Bookish, and is exactly what its title hints at. Each week we're given a topic to explore in our entries. 


I have a complicated relationship with food.

Meaning, what, exactly?

Simple: it is very easy for me to get so absorbed in something (work, music, social life, that tiny dust particle floating around my bedroom) and forget to eat at specific times. Which, true, isn't great. It's not that I forget to eat in theory, it's that sometimes I forget when to eat when I should. It's a strange experience, considering I genuinely like to cook/bake.

Which is this topic was kind of iffy for me. I find that I am less likely to read and eat; more likely to drink and eat. My multi-task skills only go so far and there's a good chance that I'd forget to eat the food in front of me, while getting so drawn into the book.

But, when I do read and eat, it's typically at breakfast time. So, this week, I'm splitting it up into three categories relating to: breakfast, coffee and wine. (I am honestly shook that I'm keeping up with this weeks topic!)


Breakfast

When I was younger, breakfast was my least favourite meal of the day. Through my early education, I'd skip breakfast in an effort to sleep-in just a little bit longer. (Hey, those fifteen minutes really made a difference!) Imagine my shock, nowadays, realizing that breakfast is my favourite meal of the day and probably the only one I rarely forget/plan ahead of time. Reading during breakfast is short, but it definitely gets my mind functioning for the day ahead and puts me in a specific mindset.

I tend to reread more during the morning than looking into new books, though. And, I'm fairly basic when it comes to the meal portion. It's either spicy scrambled eggs (eggs, cheese, green onion and sriracha) or overnight oats (I use oats, chia seeds, almond milk, almond butter and a little bit of honey; in the mornings I add a banana or blueberries to it)--but the last week, I recently tried some frozen breakfast minis from Bantam Bagels. Which are SO good.

Coffee 
I'm THAT coffee person. I love tea, I love wine, but coffee is the only thing I drink as frequently as water. In order to resemble a human, I have to drink at least one cup of coffee and I really don't think it's fair that anyone has to deal with me pre-coffee. And I do mean that literally. I'm a cliche of a coffee drinker.

When I travel, or stay the night somewhere, I always make sure to scope out good coffee shops or bring my own coffee based beverage with me. It's pretty sad, if you think about it, but it's FINE. I find that, because you will likely ALWAYS spot me drinking a cup of coffee. As far as pair-ups go, I like to read more atmospheric novels. Whether that's a thriller, a mystery, a fantasy, dark romance, a non-fiction or something else entirely, I'm here for this pairing.

Bonus points if it chills me to the bone and I need the warmth that coffee offers.

Wine (Drink responsibly if you are legal.)
When reading and drinking, wine is mostly for entertainment and romance. It goes without saying that I've grown to like the combination of romance (all kinds), or dramatic humorous romps like Crazy Rich Asians and Gossip Girl or fluffy contemporaries when it comes to wine and literature time. The sort of books that you can sink into, lose an hour or two, and have fun with.

These books are a mix of serious and not, and mostly indulgent. A definite pick-me-up.

 Do you eat/drink while reading? 
What's your favourite food/drink and literary pairing?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate