Unexpected and Intense | Review: Sinful by Katherine Hawthorne

5:27 PM

I'm going to apologize in advance for the surge of (late) reviews for the Sinful Surrender Quartet. I know, I know, I posted these to Goodreads back in November. I had them all in my drafts for the blog but forgot to schedule them. Oops!


About Sinful
by Katherine Hawthorne  

Xander was a dream that would never be.

One catastrophic night left me orphaned at the age of seventeen. Hunted by a murderer, Xander saved me from the pits of hell, braving a fire that would have ended my life. Hiding me from a killer, he became my protector, my best friend, but never anything more.

Sin was a nightmare waiting to happen.

Six years later, a friend is murdered at the hottest nightclub in Manhattan, again thrusting me into a killer’s crosshairs. Now a detective with the NYPD, I refuse to hide, unyielding in my pursuit of justice, which has eluded me for so long. Determined to keep me safe, Sin forces me from the case. Defying him at every turn, our contentious relationship finally explodes in the most scandalous way conceivable, leaving me devastated.

I wanted them both.

Xander, sophisticated and elegant. My hero, the man who owns my heart. Sin, dominating alpha-male. My lieutenant, forbidden in so many ways. One dangerous kiss changes everything, catapulting me into a war between the two, neither of them willing to let me go. I become a pawn in their game until they join forces in a way I never saw coming. But lies and deception threaten to destroy us, leading to a betrayal that cuts so deep, I wonder if I’ll ever survive.



Other Books in the Series:

Sinful by Katherine Hawthorne 
Rating: ★★★★☆

Pleasantly surprised by this one! I was warned ahead of time that although this quartet features a steamy relationship of three, there was still a quality to it that was undeniably crime related. The cover doesn't do the story at its core justice because it is a definite balancing act of genres--it will leave readers breathless from the chemistry of characters, cut you to the bone emotionally and draw you to a pause in its suspense.

Katherine Hawthorne pens a story that is more than just a potent and erotic tale--it is enthralling in its mystery and intrigue, it is dangerous and exhilarating. Sinful, the first installment, sets the groundwork for the series. Hawthorne instills a certain amount of angst, romance and intrigue. The danger is apparent from the very first page. So, too, is the chemistry that is yet to come. Hawthorne compelled me from the very beginning, thrusting us head first into the past and the present in a way that is refreshing and engrossing--it will hook you.

What I appreciated most about this novel was the balancing act I've already mentioned. Sinful is marketed to readers as a threesome based romance, with elements of crime sprinkled into its passion. The fact of the matter is that it is so much more to that and it would be a damn shame to shy away from the other qualities it possesses. I'm not accustomed to many dark romances, and the ones that I am differ from this quartet, but I can honestly say Hawthorne reaches new heights with Sinful and firmly plants readers in the middle of something special.

When it comes to Sinful, it is in many ways a perfect series opener. Readers will be treated to mysterious air, action packed detective work, dynamic characters and relationships. Hawthorne writes complex characters in unique positions and relationships, amplifying their connection not only in the dangers of their lives but in the essence of their hearts. Something about this book worked and intrigued in a way that piqued my curiosity and kept me firmly placed with my eyes glued to its pages.

The mystery at the core of Sinful takes the main stage, tying into the risks of both matters of the heart and the dangers of the crime that begs to be unraveled. While clothing is dropped, so is the mystery at hand. It truly is a fantastic combination of plotlines, entwined together with fantastic and flawed characters. Hawthorne's prose makes the story of Belle, Sin and Xander all the more stunning.

If you love detective stories with an edge, and romance, this quartet is a definite must read. 


Find me on Instagram and/or Twitter.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate