Review: China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan

3:19 PM

China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan | Rating: ★★★★☆

There are three stages in my reactions that I've witnessed whilst reading the delightful Crazy Rich Asians series. I have been all over the place during the first two books of the series and each page feels as intriguing as the last. I said it before, but I'll say it again, reading this series for the first time was like that fateful day I picked up a copy of Gossip Girl by the incomparable Cecily von Ziegesar--the novels are pure entertainment and compel you to read further by the snap of a finger.

Stage One: Roar with laughter. This is the biggest thing about China Rich Girlfriend. There was so much humour in Crazy Rich Asians but somehow, Kevin Kwan outdoes himself in this smartly woven sequel. I, like Auntie Belinda, frequently cry over Fleetwood Mac into my Chanel handkerchief. I'm not kidding you. Not only is China Rich Girlfriend deeply dramatic and juicy with gossip, the humour is on point and not to be ignored. Get ready to choke on some wine from time to time.

Stage Two: Sympathy and endearment, despite all the privilege. You've got to admit you feel bad for Astrid's dilemma--Michael is such a crap husband and she deserves better. Ahem, so Charlie? Rachel's plot line broke my heart too and I did not see the twist coming. Hint: poison. (Don't worry--spoiler: she is okay!) And even Kitty tugged on my heartstrings with her desire to just fit in somewhere--despite the otherwise insufferable moments of her grasping at straws.


Stage Three: This stage is my personal favourite. I call it the "What the fuck happens now and when can I inhale the next book?" stage. It's impossible to not get wrapped up in the lives of these characters. It's just too deliciously shallow, a little romantic and a whole lot entertaining. Basically, it's a smarter and modern version of Gossip Girl.

Overall, I had a blast with this one! Kwan really knows how to tell a story that flows smoothly and keeps readers fully engrossed in the dramatic lives of the elite. From romance, to friendship, to a whole lot of family drama and high fashion--China Rich Girlfriend accomplishes everything fun about literature and does so in style.

One of the funniest and most intriguing books I have read in ages, it is the perfect summer read and a must-buy for fans of Gossip Girl. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate