Ten Years of City of Bones: Week Five (Parabatai)

9:47 PM

I've spent the better part of my week (1) Trying to hunt down a copy of the anniversary edition of City of Bones (to no avail--guess I'll have to suck it up and order online and hope my idiot neighbors don't steal the package) and (2) Listening to the new Taylor Swift record on repeat (I'm not going to apologize about this just so we're on the same page) while trying to plot this weeks post out in my head. As you can imagine, that didn't go off as well as I'd hoped--however, I finally got off my arse and got it done. I know, I'm proud of me too.

To be honest, this is a pretty short post compared to the other topics. I have no idea why I procrastinated like I did. Whoops. 

I'm so excited to continue my celebration. Which, if you're confused as to what I'm talking about--click here. Basically, my stan is at its highest level when it comes to Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments series.

I'm going to be tackling my favourite parabatai pairings from The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices because reasons. So let's get down to business. Grab a drink. And blast "I Did Something Bad" by Taylor Swift because it's what I'm doing--it's a total banger.



The Mortal Instruments 

Jace Herondale and Alec Lightwood 

What would the list be without these two? I love my children. Listen, there's a lot to be said about the bond between parabatai and when I think of those ties, I think mostly of Herondales and their love for the people in their lives. In particular, their parabatai. Jace and Alec would quite literally be lost with-out one another. For them, they're just a notch above family. I have absolutely no chill when it comes to these two and the way they genuinely love one another.

This isn't about romance but the intimacy between these two is so apparent. It's true that parabatai are tied together in ways that mere best-friends don't always understand. I think this bond is most obvious the longer the books go on and it's one of those parts of relationships that the show develops beautifully and organically while equally maintaining their own story while adapting Cassie's.

I wish we had more flashbacks or scenes between the two in the books but what we did get? Magic. I love them.

Clary Fairchild and Simon Lewis/Lovelace 

THESE TWO. THESE! TWO! If there was one thing constant in The Mortal Instruments six-book run, it was the friendship between Clary and Simon. And, you know, the impending doom and all that. Much like with Jace and Alec, these two grew up together quite literally and went through so many changes--including the dangerous new world they're subject to.

I think it's easy to see why they were drawn together. Why this was mistaken for a romantic love. I do adore them in all forms--there's just something pure about them and their bond. It only made sense that they became parabatai in the future because, frankly, there's no one else that would be what they are to each other. I always felt like their relationship was truly similar to the parabatai bond even before it came into play.

In so many ways, their friendship was already that strong. They both have flaws but there's something so special between them that represents innocence and love and respect. Friendship goals, anyone?

The Infernal Devices 

Will Herondale and Jem Carstairs 

Also known as, "THE REASON JESSICA IS SOBBING INTO HER NEW SWEATER AT 9PM ON A SUNDAY" if we're being blunt here. Between friends, ahem, 98% of my heartbreak in the Shadowhunter world is because of these two (and Tessa) and well, I am so glad I am wearing water-proof mascara. I think that it's apparent that my favourite series set in this world is The Infernal Devices trilogy and it's entirely because of the closeness of characters in it.

Will and Jem represent the ultimate parabatai bond for me. There's something so beautiful about the way they care for one another and I think that, while the relationships between the Shadowhunters we know are all powerful, this is the one that makes the ground move. They love each other so deeply and selflessly and everything that ties them together is stunning. So, so moving. I didn't really think I would love them as much as I did--but they are the first thought I have when I think about parabatai.

I think they both bring out this profound change in one another and I don't know how to explain it other than that. I think Jem grounds Will and Will is shown how to love someone through their friendship. There's so much at their foundation. I just love them. Okay? I do. I do. I DO.

If I could choose my own parabatai from the series... 

Isabelle Lightwood 
Is anyone even surprised by this one? I mean, to be fair--I was stuck between her, Cristina Rosales and Jessamine Lovelace. Isabelle is my original baby girl from YA literature. So. Duh. I live a definite Isabelle Lightwood appreciation life (do people even say this anymore?) and would love to kick ass with her basically. Well, and shop. And all that jazz.


This is the portion of the post that I should really wrap things up but I have to also add one little shout out to my #1 KAYLE. She is my parabatai IRL despite the fact that neither of us are Shadowhunters (I am in denial) and this post is nothing without nodding at her.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate