Review: Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart

9:26 PM

Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart | Rating: ★★★☆☆

She knew that women were rarely the centers of such stories. Instead, they were eye candy, arm candy, victims, or love interests. Mostly, they existed to help the great white hetero hero on his fucking epic journey. When there was a heroine, she weighed very little, wore very little, and had had her teeth fixed.

Based on the magnificence that is Lockhart's prose, with what we saw in We Were Liars, I wanted to love Genuine Fraud. My problem was that while the writing was utterly luscious, it just didn't compel me in the many ways that Lockhart's previous release had. Which is seemingly an unfair thing to say, surely, considering the stories are two very different ones--but it just didn't do it for me quite like it should have.

I enjoyed it but only just. Lockhart has that way with her words that makes her one of the most enjoyable writers of her time. You know the type. You dive into their tales and get lost in their prose. They could literally type up a little commentary along the sides of a phone book and you'd be right there with your highlighter, marking away at the good bits. Genuine Fraud had plenty of moments in the narration that were so smooth and easy to fall into, I had many tabs present.



I did like Genuine Fraud, truly I did, so guys--hear me out on that before we dive in. 

While the story and I didn't connect, due to my familiarity with the inspiration Lockhart took in The Talented Mr. Ripley, her writing very much so saved it and kept me going. It had its thrills and the quick switch of plots that kept readers question, especially those who are unfamiliar with either the novel of film mentioned before.

It's just that Genuine Fraud--this was the case of a retelling that could have been Everything. Capitol E. But it wasn't. Because despite the changes and the modernization of it all, it felt like nothing new  for the vast majority of the book, and like there just could have been so much more done with the plots.

I feel like I'm ragging on this far more than I should be but, you know, not everything will work 100% for me. 

So, to brighten things up a bit, here is what did work for me: 

  • Imogen and Jule. I think this connection is one of those novels that truly bends your mind on a fascinating level. To say that their friendship is intense would be an understatement. Because you truly have no idea what is beneath the surface.Who is the bad guy. If there is a bad guy. What just happened. What will happen. Lockhart weaves the questions into the narration like the pro that she is and showed us that in We Were Liars.
  • The spine-chilling way that even the simplest of plots unfold. This ties into the questions and thrills. It's safe to say that this is Lockhart's calling card.
  • I liked the backward story telling because it provided an extra kick into the story. 
  • E. Lockhart's honest and breathtaking way of gripping a reader. Once more, her narration is as captivating as they come and her characters are mysterious, complex and full of life.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate