Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Skipped Lunch for in My Teens (#35)

11:00 PM

Hello, nostalgia, my old friend. 

For those of you who are new to my blog, or the book blogging community, Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, originating over at the Broke and the Bookish, and is exactly what its title hints at. Each week we're given a topic to explore in our entries.
I've been working hard this weekend, trying to queue up some posts in the event that my dad doesn't find work and I am unable to maintain the internet and what not. So, forgive any errors on this post or my Caraval tag. I've tried to edit out what I could to keep things neat and coherent, but I'm still me and that means I'm a mess.

This week's topic got another facelift, solely so I could explore it with more context relating to me while still remaining on topic with the general theme of things: Outrageous Things I’ve Done for the Love of Books is now Books I Skipped Lunch for in My Teens--because I was #THATBITCH. I mean, that's a total compliment.

What better reason to skip lunch for than a new book?

Let's get to context.

So, all throughout middle school and high school, our lunch cost was pretty much the same. $6 would cover the standard hot meal and a drink. The lines were separated by two: hot and cold. For the hot, we had your usual school lunches and the "cold" line had soup or salad with a sandwich which was somewhere around $4.

It wasn't long before I raised a question and deal with my parents: I get the cheaper lunch, do all the things a Good Teen should (I.E., chores and homework) and I get to keep the change. Or, I skip out on getting a school lunch every now and then and save up the money for books. Sometimes this didn't always work out (see: me not responding well to criticism and authority in class) but when it did, BOY DID IT WORK OUT!

As for the skipping lunch part--sometimes I did accidentally skip lunch while reading the books I did snag from time to time. While it's not legitimate skipping, I still skipped out on eating said lunch. The good news is, the food didn't go to waste: my friend would just help himself. And I got a little extra reading time.


Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar | TTYL by Lauren Myracle


The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney | Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard


City of Bones by Cassandra Clare | Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling


Private by Kate Brian | Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz 


Killing Mr. Griffin by Lois Duncan | Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast 


It was hard narrowing it down to ten books because, dang, so a few honorable mentions are: Crank by Ellen Hopkins, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (I know) and The A-List by Zoey Dean.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate