Best Installmet Yet | Review: The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

4:30 PM

Me, every day until the end of my days: WHY DID I TAKE SO LONG TO READ THIS SERIES?

by Rick Riordan 

Percy Jackson isn't expecting freshman orientation to be any fun. But when a mysterious mortal acquaintance appears at his potential new school, followed by demon cheerleaders, things quickly move from bad to worse.

In this fourth installment of the blockbuster series, time is running out as war between the Olympians and the evil Titan lord Kronos draws near. Even the safe haven of Camp Half-Blood grows more vulnerable by the minute as Kronos's army prepares to invade its once impenetrable borders. To stop the invasion, Percy and his demigod friends must set out on a quest through the Labyrinth - a sprawling underground world with stunning surprises at every turn.


Other Books in the Series


The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan 
Rating: ★★★★★

“People are more difficult to work with than machines. And when you break a person, he can't be fixed.” 

Rick Riordan is officially a favourite and this series just keeps getting better and better. While I'm forever kicking myself around over having taken so long to actually read Percy Jackson and the Olympians, I'm grateful that I finally have. These characters, this world, the mythology and Riordan's prose officially own my heart. It is just too good and The Battle of the Labyrinth is one of the best installments.

How can one series be so good? This is nothing short of fun and brilliance. The Battle of the Labyrinth sets us off on another delightfully snark, enthralling and action packed adventure. I think that, so far, of the first four novels, this book has been my favourite. (I know, I keep saying that as I read, but it's true.) Percy, Annabeth, Grover and Tyson are all in their elements and I am so thrilled to see them go on a quest together.

I loved seeing how much these characters have grown since we were first introduced to them. Each of their relationships have been so fun to watch grow. (Or, in the case of some, deteriorate.) I truly love each of them in their own ways. Part of me wanted to say that Annabeth or Tyson are my favourite characters but then I find myself like, "Wait! But! Percy! OH, AND GROVER!!! What about Clarisse? What about--" and it just goes on from there.

With every passing installment, the mythology of Percy Jackson's world becomes so much more complex and fascinating; just when I think he couldn't possibly outdo himself, he does. This time, we've got a little more teenage angst sprinkled in for good measure, and as always it doesn't over-power a single moment of the action. Riordan always creates a perfect balance for these stories and I cannot stress how fantastic it has been to witness it.

While I'm not reading these as a child, nor did I then, there's something so nostalgic about them. It is like slipping back into my childhood for but a moment and rediscovering this exhilaration and love of reading. I might not be growing up with these characters in the way that I did with the ones in Harry Potter, but I'm so excited to be experiencing it now. There is just so much fun to be had with these novels--they are gorgeously written, witty, full of mythology and fantasy, and are amongst the best of the genre.

One look at this series and you're hooked. That's what I've discovered when it comes to Percy Jackson and the Olympians and Rick Riordan in general. This series is impossible to put down and even more impossible to forget! I've adored every moment and I'm so glad to be experiencing it. It's true what they say: better late than never. 



Find me on Instagram and/or Twitter.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate