2:55 PM

tbc The Bane Chronicles by Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, Sarah Rees Brennan | Rating: ★★★★☆

"Trust. It is like placing a blade in someone's hand and setting the very point to your heart."

I may be biased in this -- because I'm such a fan of this world -- but this is the perfect collection of short stories on Magnus Bane. I'm always, always here for more Magnus. And while companion novels can run short when compared to the original stories, The Bane Chronicles is a wonderful extension to Cassandra Clare's beloved The Infernal Devices and The Mortal Instruments series. Fans of the original series -- this is a must read for you.

Say what you will about Cassandra -- her personality and actions may not be your cup of tea. You're certainly entitled to that because of things she's done or said in the past. But I want you to know: it's okay if you like her work but not her. And it's also okay if you don't. For me, personally, I love her writing. She's made some kickass stories for us -- intriguing plots and twists and characters that come together in such a terrific way. Her worlds are what fantasies are made of and I applaud her for bringing us these stories.

Back to The Bane Chronicles. It's so exciting to see more of Magnus, in a way we haven't seen before. He is such an interesting character -- witty, mysterious, the overall package when it comes down to entertainment. And because he is one of my favorite characters from her works, it's all the more thrilling to see more from his point of view. Previously, so much of who he is as a character was a mystery to us, but in these stories we get to see so much more of his story. His humor, his personality, his past -- the good, the bad, it's all tied together in a neat little bow for the fans to enjoy.
I enjoyed this collection from front to back and finished it rather quickly because it was impossible to put down. Each story brings us more and more to who Magnus is, and who he could be, and it's just an enjoyable experience. I cannot tell you which short story was my favorite, I'm rather fond of them all, but I'm sure so many others could point out their favorites.

The Bane Chronicles captures the Magnus we already know and fleshes him out even further for us. It's written incredibly well and maintains the same sense of humour (delicious sarcasm) that appeals to us all.

Not to mention other kickass extras and fantastic illustrations. Seriously, how cool is this collection? Swoon, I'm in love. Yes, The Bane Chronicles is a fantastic addition to the Shadowhunters world and one of the best companion novels/collection of short stories in current young adult releases.

It's not something you should miss.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate