2:28 PM

the hobbit The Hobbit by J.R.R Tolkien | Rating: ★★★★★

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after."

My father has always been a fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's works and, because of this, he has been on my case to read this since my early teens. I'd avoided it for quite some time because while it appealed to me, I've always picked something over it when it came down to the moment I'd read something or start a new series. I'm not sure why I did that. In fact, I'd rather like to smack myself upside the head because I adored this book. I mean, really, what took me so long?

I'm clearly a fool. But don't worry -- my father's got enough scolding and eye rolling in my direction cover you. Seriously.

The Hobbit was a vivid and delightful ride to take. As soon as you open it, you understand almost instantly why it's referred to as a classic. It's just so good. It instantly captures your attention and you have a warm interest in the story as it's told. I felt as though someone comfortable and familiar was reading it to me -- almost like a childhood bedtime story. The world that Tolkien creates is as clear and fascinating as your favorite painting or movie. He really, really allowed our imaginations to run freely with his creation and that's the very best part about his writing; he transports us to a different time and a different world.


The entire time I was reading The Hobbit I had this urge to make myself some hot tea, having a sweet treat and sit by the fire place. I didn't do this, of course, because I simply could not put this book down. Also because it's spring time -- but that's neither here nor there. There's just something about this book that makes you want to curl up in a cozy manner and dive right in. It was very difficult to put it down. Very difficult.

Though the story itself is short in its number of pages, it isn't a read that you can finish in a small frame of time. J.R.R. Tolkien's writing is wonderful and not to be rushed -- his detailing is incredible. He really knew what he was doing in creating this world, these races and places and what not. So please, please, do not rush yourself to finish this and do not get frustrated if it takes you longer than usual. His writing is meant to be savored.

Our story follows the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, and his companions as they embark on a journey to reach some long lost gold. Their journey, of course, takes on an unexpected life of its own as they find themselves in more than few sticky situations. And though their main goal remains the same -- to reach the gold that lay beyond a vicious dragon -- many other adventures and complications form and block their path. Thankfully, Bilbo proves himself to be quite loveable and clever.

He is such a wonderful character I cannot believe it took me this long to know him.

Embracing this book is like living in a fairy tale. It's like embracing an old friend. It's like nothing I can explain except truly, and completely, magical.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate