12:17 PM

tpw The Paris Winter by Imogen Robertson | Rating: ★★★☆☆ (3.5)

As a note, this novel was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for a honest review. This does not effect my opinions in any way.

It's not that I hated The Paris Winter, or didn't like it. I quite liked it, but I think I expected much more from it than it gave in the end, which is no fault but my own. Imogen Robertson has a great talent when it comes to writing a world in historical fiction that comes to life right before your eyes. Her writing doesn't feel awkward or out of place, instead, embraces the past warmly in a way that is accurate to its timeline. She manages to do with historical fiction what other authors fail -- she makes it sound real and true.

She weaves plots effortlessly together and tangles us in the lies, secrecy and more of this very world. We get to follow a few characters in the novel and each one has a voice that is both unique and fascinating. Each woman has a voice that differs from the other, and a vast difference in social standing, and it makes the story all the more interesting to read each person and their POV. I daresay it's the biggest saving grace of the novel and the reason that I've given it a 3.5. The characters are just so fascinating to me that I was drawn into their minds almost instantly.

The Paris Winter isn't a difficult read by any means and at times borders on a territory that could be extremely boring to readers. But fans of historical fiction will surely flock to this read and devour it on a nice personal day spent reading, eating and having a nice drink. It's perfect for those who wish to relax and untangle webs of suspense; a vivid tale that will captivate its target audience as the story unravels. Although the novel itself isn't extraordinary, or something we've never seen before, it is a thoroughly entertaining story that can be finished within a small time frame.


Lovers of Paris, all things Paris, will be drawn into the descriptions of scenery and social life. Imogen doesn't slack on her descriptions and it really showcases her talents in storytelling. Colours, places and people come to life in a way that I am unable to describe.

The story is set during a well known time in history, one that is often spoke of, and in this we get a good glimpse of many aspects of life in Paris in the early 1900s. The Paris Winter makes you feel as though you are in the thick of it all, the good, the bad and the mysterious. Once you get past the slow beginning, you are drawn in and find yourself flipping pages as quick as you can.

There's a certain thrill to it -- the kind that often lacks in historical and modern fiction, that makes you want more and more and more.

My favorite part of the novel was the way it felt reading it. I was thoroughly invested in the outcome of each plot and really found myself enjoying it. It was a great one time read, for me, but will surely be an all-time favorite for historical fiction enthusiasts.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate