12:52 PM

vampire academy Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead | Rating: ★★★★☆

"The incident with Dawn hadn’t been one of my finer moments. I honestly hadn’t expected to break any bones when I shoved her into a tree. Still, the incident had given me a dangerous reputation. The story had gained legendary status, and I liked to imagine that it was still being told around campfires late at night. Judging by the look on the girl’s face, it was."

When my friend bought this book for me years ago, I’d had my fill of vampire themed stories. Twilight was never fully for me, Blue Bloods left something to be desired and House of Night was the only one that sort of captured my attention. I put off reading this novel for nearly two years before picking it up and finding myself pleasantly surprised.

This is not like other vampire novels out there in the young adult market. And that is so, so good. I regret not picking it up sooner, honestly. In other words, if you’re being a judgey little prick: stop what you’re doing. Go pick up a copy and read it. No, seriously. GO!

I’ll start off by saying I was very surprised at how well written and thought out this novel seemed to be. It wasn’t half assed like so many supernatural stories seem to be and you can tell that Richelle not only did a lot of research, she put a lot of thought into how she wanted to paint the image of this world. She did a good job.


Like, freakishly good.

Bad ass female characters? Check.

Bad ass male characters? Check.

Incredibly hilarious and sarcastic moments? Check.

Romance? Action? Mythology? Check, check and check.




This story has a kick ass style that is a force to be reckoned with and serves as the perfect introduction to an entire world that is different to our own and is quite possibly one of the best first-in-a-series novels I’ve ever had the pleasure of picking up. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series

(I’m only on book two, currently. I know, it’s sad!) and find out just how much this world of characters will progress.

I love the twists and turns, I love the romance, I love the setting and I love the characters. Most importantly, I love the bond between Rose and Lissa and I love that it comes first and foremost throughout everything else in the series. Although both characters have their love interests, it is clear that the bond they share will always come first and they will always protect one another. Not just because it is Rose’s job to do so, either.

I enjoy how the villain will sneak up on you and that the ending leaves room for so much to happen. Honestly, the possibilities seem endless upon finishing the first of this series.

This is on my must-reads list of recommendations. Don’t be an asshole and judge what you think this series is about. Go find out. I promise you won’t regret it.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate