Review: Paper Girls, Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang

11:49 PM

Paper Girls, Vol. 3 by Brian K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang, Various | Rating: ★★★★☆

I've been pretty fond of the Paper Girls series and the fact that it just keeps getting better. It may not be my favourite or most captivating release in terms of graphic novels, but it's definitely still one that I keep track of. In terms of series, it's quite unique and nostalgic. The artwork is fantastic and consistently on point. I love the way it feels retro without even trying and the colours are perfect.

The plots may have been hit or miss for me in the past. I won't lie to you--the series has its flaws that make me wonder at times but it's never enough to say to hell with it. I find it to be a blast and thoroughly entertaining. Whereas the flaws were more prominent in the beginning of the series, it has taken me by the neck and pinned me with its third volume. Honestly, this installment was incredible and can't miss.

Something about it held that nostalgia, that fear and the scientific elements that make the girls so fantastic to read about. Vol. 3 really blew its counterparts out of the water and proved that this story is going great places and is unforgettable. The way that we fleshed out the girls in this one--and a specific vision of the future; the fate of all of them still very much so in the air, an introduction to a new setting and cast of characters--was incredible. I loved the pointblank approach we took to the way life goes on even in the face of terror.


I also loved the bond of the girls. We see them narrowly escaping more obstacles in an effort to get back home and find out what the hell is going on. But with one girl knowing that her fate is very much so coming up and that her future ends sooner than the others, it's obvious to see that there is a bit of tension. Add a dash of separation once more, the future another girl witnesses (hint: two of them may kiss in the future) and one massive cliffhanger, it is one of the most delicious and entertaining comics I've read in ages.

Dark. At times silly. It has all the makings of a modern day classic and I genuinely loved every page in this installment! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate