The Sea of Monsters Hooked Me From the Start! | Review: The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

4:57 PM

The fact that I waited so long to read Rick Riordan is truly a crime and you should all shout at me about it.


About

Percy Jackson’s seventh-grade year has been surprisingly quiet. Not a single monster has set foot on his New York prep-school campus. But when an innocent game of dodgeball among Percy and his classmates turns into a death match against an ugly gang of cannibal giants, things get... well, ugly. And the unexpected arrival of Percy’s friend Annabeth brings more bad news: the magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed.

In this fresh, funny, and hugely anticipated follow up to The Lightning Thief, Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their beloved camp. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family—one that makes him question whether being claimed as Poseidon’s son is an honor or simply a cruel joke.



The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan 
Rating: ★★★★★

“Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related for better or for worse...and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum.”

Why did I wait so long to read Percy Jackson and the Olympians? First of all, Rick Riordan's writing and exploration of mythology and coming of age is all incredible. Secondly, well, there isn't really a second thing to list beyond I've just been missing out for so many years. Regardless of the time spent waiting, I'm glad that I was finally able to dive into this luscious world of mythology and action.

Much like with my experience reading The Lightening Thief, this novel was pure fun. It was high paced and action packed; sprinkled with humor and dashed with just the right amount of youthful vulnerability one might have expected. Every page of The Sea of Monsters opened our eyes to this world and built onto what we'd learned in its predecessor. Further, old friends and foes returned in refreshing ways, as well as new faces.

As always, the mythology is on point and vivid. We're learning of this world right alongside Percy and that is a real treat. I felt like the message behind friendships and family bonds was so much more compelling in The Sea of Monsters and loved the inclusion of our newest character: Percy's half-brother, Tyson. (Seriously--their friendship and bond is SO special and I was shouting 'protect these two' throughout the duration of this novel.) I felt like the way that Grover, Annabeth, Luke, Clarisse and others worked their way into the central story arch made the story all the more enthralling.

The Sea of Monsters captivated me right from the start. New year, new adventures or quests, same exhilaration. The story starts off with a bang and never truly slows down. It is an adventure of its own that left me laughing, emotional and lighter than I'd felt in days. It is in stories like The Sea of Monsters that remind me why I am a reader in the first place. I adored this installment and am completely in awe over the world that Rick Riordan has created.

And, listen, I don't know who needs to hear it, but read Percy Jackson and the Olympians now if you haven't. It is totally worth the wait and so compelling. My only regret is not having read it growing up--as it definitely would have consumed my childhood right alongside Harry Potter and A Series of Unfortunate Events




Find me on Instagram and/or Twitter.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate