Blogtober (#5) | Page to Screen: 5 Spooky Television and Films Based on Books or Comics

7:30 AM

Okay, okay, so I'm officially trailing from the original Blogtober post ideas. Kind of. It is like one of the prompts, I just am changing it up slightly and also posting about it earlier. To be fair, I was in the mood to rewatch The Haunting of Hill House (which is one of my favourite psychological horror novels and the Netflix series is one of my top five favourites of their original content) and that mood is what sparked me to doing it sooner.




There are few things I love more than curling up with a hot coffee and something spooky in the autumn. It seems almost criminal to not watch something that is at least slightly scary (some of the titles on this list are less outright scary and more psychological, or atmospheric) this time of year. Even without Halloween, I'd still likely watch something scary due to the chilled air and darkened nights--it's too perfect of a combination.

Last year was THE PERFECT year of creepy, original content on Netflix for me. I mean, they dropped The Haunting of Hill House AND Chilling Adventures of Sabrina so close to each other. I was head over heels, practically glued to my screen when both premiered. I absolutely overdid it when it came to watching both series. I binged them within a day of them premiering and then "accidentally" rewatched them both after.

I guess it's not surprising considering (a) The Haunting of Hill House is based on the Shirley Jackson novel of the same name and Shirley Jackson is the reason I love psychological horror and (b) Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is based upon the graphic novel of the same name by Archie Horror, an imprint of Archie Comics, and, well, we all know I'm complete trash for Archie titles. So while 2018 wasn't very kind to me in terms of my personal life, the entertainment aspect of it all was truly on fire.

Honestly, there was a part of me that wanted to post something like this last October. I couldn't, though, due to my mood and all that was happening. I wanted escapism, but had very little motivation to write out much of anything. This year, though, I'M HERE and I'm ready to flail about my favourite ~creepy~ films and television series that are based on books or comics/graphic novels.

Let's do this!

CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA (Netflix Original Television Series) 
Based Upon the Graphic Novel of the Same Name by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Robert Hack
2018-present 

It felt only natural to start here. Sabrina Spellman is a character who has been in my life for so long, I don't actually have any memory of not loving her. I grew up in the era where the sitcom Sabrina the Teenage Witch was in its prime and a cartoon soon followed. My parent's loved Archie Comics, so I was always around the characters and what not. As an adult, I was hesitant to dive into the horror comics because I didn't want to mess with my memory of the original, cheerful comics, but once I did, I fell in love with this darker take on Sabrina. The Netflix series is surely entertaining, and a little less dark than the comics, but I really love it and can't wait to rewatch it this month!


THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (Netflix Original Television Series)
Based Upon the Novel of the Same Name by Shirley Jackson 
2018-present (now an anthology series by the name of "The Haunting...")

Although it differs greatly from its source material, this re-imagining is fantastic and absolutely one of my favourite Netflix Original Series. Actually, The Haunting of Hill House might be one of my favourite television series of all time, period. I adored this modern take on the classic novel. It was different, emotional (shout out to whoever called it the horror version of NBC's This is Us) and terrifying. The Haunting of Hill House is one of those rare shows that I'll always rewatch and never get sick of (joining The X-Files, Stranger Things, Weeds, Pretty Little Liars, Twin Peaks, True Blood and Doctor Who). I normally hate jump-scares and find them to not really startle me, but this series managed to sneak in a few and it was kind of awesome?

On the topic of Shirley Jackson--I heard that We Have Always Lived in the Castle's film adaptation is coming to Netflix this month??? HELLO, MY TIME IS NOW. 

TRUE BLOOD (HBO Original Television Series)
Based Upon the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Mysteries Series by Charlaine Harris 
2008-2014

True Blood is definitely more of a romance/fantasy/horror mashup, and a little trashy, but it still had its spooky moments. I'd say it is one of the more atmospheric titles on this list. This series and I went through A LOT together. It originally piqued my interest because I first noticed it during the height of the vampire craze that Twilight sparked. Like The Vampire Diaries, it took a bit more of a darker and mythological tone than Twilight. I just really love this series? It went downhill in the later seasons, but it was still a great balance of fun, romantic, and horrifying.

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER (Film)
Loosely Based Upon the Novel of the Same Name by Lois Duncan 
1997 

This was the very first horror movie I ever watched and I adored it. It is what introduced me to Lois Duncan's books and she has greatly influenced my taste in thrillers. Autumn is a great time to rewatch this one, too. My feelings towards it have changed a bit over the years due to the controversy surrounding Lois Duncan's disappointment in her novel being turned into a slasher film--after her daughter was murdered. They were quite cruel towards her and I feel badly about how she was treated and how her novel was adapted. Not to mention that after writing the screenplay for this film, Kevin Williamson also went on to rip off another novel of hers (Killing Mr. Griffin) or are we not allowed to talk about how Teaching Mrs. Tingle was literally the same thing?

SHARP OBJECTS (HBO Original Television Series/Mini-Series) 
Based Upon the Novel of the Same Name by Gillian Flynn 
2018 

Sharp Objects, of course, is a psychological thriller/mystery. It's not quite as blatantly terrifying as the previously listed adaptations, but it is certainly chilling in a slow-burn way that Gillian Flynn is an expert at. This is, without a doubt, one of my favourite standalone novels of all time. The show is, as well, one of my favourite adaptations. It's no shock as to why I included it in this week's post--the ending of Sharp Objects alone is so disorienting and chilling, it's the perfect autumn watch.


I think I did fairly well at not overdoing it by listing a ton of films/shows. (Although I'm regretting not including You or Killing Mr. Griffin.) I mostly wanted to highlight my favourites, you know? 
 Do you guys have any favourite "scary" films or shows? 
Find me on Instagram and Twitter.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate