Top Ten Tuesday #1: Book Boyfriends & Girlfriends

7:08 PM

For those of you who are new (like me) to Top Ten Tuesday, it is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and its title means exactly what you think it means. This Tuesday (October 3rd) revolves around everyone's favourite topic: book boyfriends. And girlfriends. There's always someone to swoon over in a good book, right?

Admittedly, in the past, I hated this term for the longest time. Lately, I've been buzzing with a lot of love towards fictional characters and really have been appreciating them more and more. From the heroes to the villains, I have to be honest with you: I love many, many characters. Narrowing it down to ten would be tough--so I am definitely going wild on this topic and going over ten. Thankfully, the ten is only a suggestion!




THE ORIGINAL BOOK BOYFRIENDS

Nate Archibald, Gossip Girl Series by Cecily von Ziegesar:  As you well know, I grew up reading the Gossip Girl books and am proud to say that Nathaniel Archibald was the ULTIMATE BAE for most of my pre-teen and teenage years. Sure, he was a bad boyfriend and generally speaking a lazy, privileged stoner. But boy, did he make my little naive heart pitter and patter throughout the entire series run. I may not have liked the show--but the best thing to come out of it was Chace Crawford playing him. Swoon.

Harry Potter, Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling: How can anyone not love Harry Potter? He was such a cupcake. I was always so stressed reading HP back in the day because all I wanted to do was protect him from the horrors of his life. Come to think of it, for a children's book, the entire series was a bit distressing and tragic. Not shocking! I never really understood why people thought he was one of the worst characters in his own series--he was the entire package and I adored him!

Jace Herondale, The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare: I loved literally every character in this series. I still do. Jace was my first love, though. Who can resist him? I'm known to go for the sarcastic, hot and slightly bitter characters as favourites but not usually as genuine crush material. But the thing about Jace is he is just so bloody irresistible and badass and vulnerable, it's impossible for me to not love him!

Noel Kahn, Pretty Little Liars Series by Sara Shepard: I'm a total sucker for pretty boys with good hearts, a solid sense of humor, tragic backstory and intelligence. Noel Kahn was the ultimate for the longest time. I'll never forgive the show for changing literally everything about him and making him a total creep. For a time, I envied Aria Montgomery for having such a genuine boyfriend in the PLL books. Especially that time when the liars were about to--falsely--me arrested for Ali's "death" (girl totally Gone Girled herself) and he went on the run with Aria. When will your OTP ever?!

Peeta Mellark and Finnick Odair, The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins: MY BOYS! Oh, I loved them both so much and not just because they were each one half of my favourite couples in THG. I never really noticed how many parallels there were between the two until I reread Mockingjay as an adult but it's easy to see why I couldn't choose between the two for this post. I love Gale, too, but they were the #BOYFRIENDGOALS of the trilogy and there's really no arguing about it. From their strengths in the rebellion, their unwavering love for their significant others, to one's knack for cockiness and jokes and the other's selflessness, there's no questioning why I needed to include them.
THE ORIGINAL BOOK GIRLFRIENDS

Blair Waldorf, Gossip Girl Series by Cecily von Ziegesar: LONG LIVE THE QUEEN! My Blair Waldorf kicked ass at Constance and went onto Yale and was well on her way to become a lawyer by the end of the OG Gossip Girl books. Even better, her romantic entanglements never determined who she was and where her future was headed. In the end, seeing her pick herself and Serena's friendship over any boy was one of the best ways to end a series. I love one (1) stylish queen.

Vanessa Abrams, Gossip Girl Series by Cecily von Ziegesar: Vanessa is another one of those vastly underrated characters who just so happened to be destroyed by her adaptation. Joining the ranks of Ginny Weasley and Noel Kahn, OG Vanessa was a real standout in the Gossip Girl books. She was the anti-Blair, Jenny and Serena but not the enemy of any of them. In fact, Vanessa and Blair were such great friends they even lived together for a while. Armed with an edgier style (bald!) and her beloved camera, she was pretty much the best.

Ginny Weasley, Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling: You didn't think I could pass up my girl, did you? It was tough picking between her and Luna because I love them both, but Ginny will forever be one of the best parts of HP. I loved her sense of self and humour, as well as the strength she managed to have during a freaking' war. Plus, all that warmth--all that love in her heart--was really a huge part of the soul of HP.

Isabelle Lightwood, Maia Roberts and Clary Fray, The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare: Oh, I really did try to narrow it down to just one for TMI because I doubled down on GG characters. But, I couldn't! I love each of these ladies for different reasons but entirely because they are lovers and fighters. Talk about the REAL holy trinity of ladies.

Emily Fields, Pretty Little Liars Series by Sara Shepard: I love all of the liars nearly equally but Emily was my first love in PLL. As a young woman struggling with her sexuality (Emily is bisexual in the books; as am I) she really helped me accept that part of me. I always felt the most sympathetic towards her due to her feelings and the ways in which she stood out from the others. As it happens, I wanted to protect her from a lot of things--her family, Ali, A, etc--and found it impossible to not love her. I'm so glad that she got her happy ending and her development (tied with Hanna) was incredible.

Honorable Mentions: Spencer Hastings, Hanna Marin and Aria Montgomery from Pretty Little Liars, Jenny Humphrey from Gossip Girl/The It-Girl, Reed Brennan from Private, Emma Paxton, Sutton Mercer and Laurel Mercer from The Lying Game, Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter, Poppy from Secret Vampire, Rosalie Hale from Twilight

THE QUESTIONABLE AND VILLAIN BOYFRIENDS + GIRLFRIENDS
*In other words, the morally gray to the straight up bad. 

Sebastian Verlac/Jonathan Fairchild, The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare: MAN, WHAT A PIECE OF SHIT. I mean that quite literally. He is horrible and I suppose he is on here because I would totally have had hate sex with him at some point in my life. No worries, I'm judging me too and thoroughly disgusted but what can you do? If Valentine had never experimented on him, if his blood wasn't full of demon blood, he probably would have been just as lovable as Clary and Jace but obviously that wasn't going to happen. Excuse me, I have to go barf now.

Ariana Osgood, Private and Privilege Series by Kate Brian: THE OG LADY VILLAIN FOR ME! I was obsessed with the original Private run and devoured its spin-off with ease. Somehow, I loved to read from Ariana's POV and felt for her. It's never fun loving a villain but really, and truly, I adored Ariana and found her to be just as sympathetic as she was evil. Sorry I'm not sorry.

Mona Vanderwaal, Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard: WILL THE ORIGINAL (AND BEST) A PLEASE STAND UP? Mona is pretty fucked up in both forms--her television counterpart was developed much better than her book persona but I still love both with all of my heart. There was something twisted and vulnerable about her in the books that made her stand out in the series. I was, of course, completely gutted when she died in the books. At least TV!Mona survived the fall.

Alison and Courtney DiLaurentis, Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard: I love TV!Alison, really, I do. But... the books are where it's at! I was never fully able to get behind Ali not being the series' big bad full time but I still loved that she was more like Courtney on the show. So in a way, we got both. However, both Alison and Courtney were morally gray in the novels. Courtney died far too young and was easily the most sympathetic of the two. Alison was just plain scary and I kind of loved her for it. What better way to get chills than by the girl who once tried to set the liars on fire?

Ridley Duchannes, The Caster Chronicles by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl: I feel like Ridley is one of those characters who could literally step on me and I'd be like, blushing, "Thanks so much!" and honestly, she is one of my favourite YA characters of all time. There's nothing more fun than a girl who knows what she is doing and Ridley just does. Plus, she is very aware of her traits and the negative side of herself. But she isn't all bad. And I think she deserves better, always.

Morpheus, Splintered Trilogy by A.G. Howard: Swoon, swoon, swoon. What better addition to the QUESTIONABLE category than Morpheus from my beloved Splintered? As far as the core three go in the trilogy, I love them all--but I have a super soft spot in my heart for Morpheus. It was a pleasure watching him grow. And his love for Alyssa makes my heart go a little bonkers in the process.

THE CURRENT BOOK BOYFRIENDS

Connor Cobalt, the Addicted and Calloway Sisters Series by Krista & Becca Ritchie: I feel hard and fast for Connor Cobalt and so far my adult life seems to be revolving around this series. I can't help it! One half of my favourite ship (Coballoway) he has got to be one of the most beloved characters of my entire life. He definitely dethroned Nate Archibald. That may be because I relate the most to him out of all the characters in this list. From his problems with showing emotion, the love he has for his friends and family, to his wit and intelligence, all the way to his style and sexuality, you just can't go wrong with Cobalt.

Gideon Cross, Crossfire Series by Sylvia Day: My ex-girlfriend introduced me to this series once upon a time and I never intended to love it half as much as I do. Part of me wanted to add him to the morally gray list but I just couldn't bring myself to do so. Both he and Eva Trammel have such heart-breaking backstories to do with abuse, you can really understand how raw his flaws are. I find them to both be incredibly strong and downright sexy. I don't typically go for the billionaires who seem to not understand the word space but Cross is the ultimate exception to my rule.

Cooper Kingsley, Forbidden Desires Series by Kendall Ryan: THE NEWEST ADDITION TO MY LIST. I just couldn't help myself here! He is so dreamy and sweet and clearly the superior Kingsley brother when it comes to the three. I went into Dirty Little Secret not knowing what to expect when it came to characters and relationships, but he won me over. From taking care of one drunken girl and not taking advantage/leering at her like many men would, to his use of the name Princess. I just can't with him!

Dimitri Belikov, Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead: Would it be wrong of me to swoon over him even in his darkest chapters? I think Dimitri was one of my most underappreciated YA dudes for the longest time. As an adult, I see a lot of his flaws a bit more clearly than before but for some reason still love him straight down to his badass moves and accent. Now, more than ever. Yikes.

Adrian Ivashkov, Vampire Academy and Bloodlines Series by Richelle Mead: I think Richelle Mead is just the queen of creating dreamy characters to lust after. I have always loved Adrian more than Dimitri in terms of characteristics (I was going to put him first but Dimitri decided it was his turn to take the lead in my mind) and shipped him with literally everyone but especially me and Sydney. I have always loved him and probably always will.

Sirius Black, Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling: Ah. Okay, yes, fine. He should be under the OG of my book boyfriends but the thing is I didn't really want to admit I considered him so way back when I was a teenager and I first fell in love with Harry's godfather. Sirius was my first big plot twist when it came to love and hate. Incredibly flawed and, like all other HP characters, a horribly tragic backstory that was undeserved, I love Sirius!

Cassidy Porter, Unloved by Katy Regnery: I totally lied when I said that Cooper was my newest one to my batch of book boyfriends. After reading Unloved (I literally just finished it today) I can easily say that Cassidy is my latest obsession. He is just the sweetest little cupcake and when you read the novel, you feel nothing but sympathy towards him. Especially after that plot-twist! He and Brynn are my newest OTP and my heart broke for him multiple times throughout the book.

Alex Stewart, Where Rainbows End/Love Rosie by Cecelia Ahren: Where Rainbows End is one of my all-time favourite books, end sentence. Alex and Rosie's friendship-turned-relationship is 100% because of this. Plus, Ahren tends to really speak to me on some level when it boils down to her writing. If I had a BFF like Alex, I'd be in the same exact situation as Rosie for decades and decades. Alex is easy to love and very, very thoughtful and full of life. In fact, out of all of the boys on this list, I think he just may be my ULTIMATE BOOK BOYFRIEND. Le-gasp.

Magnus Bane, The Shadowhunters Chronicles by Cassandra Clare: Honestly, I debated whether or not to include him because I really wanted to do a section dedicated to book boyfriend/girlfriends who already have significant others, much like Kei did. But the thing about me is that I'm really lazy and well, I'm already babbling as it is. Magnus was my first love in TMI and us bisexual warlocks (okay, fine I'm not a warlock) need to stick together, right? Right?!

James Fraser, Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon: I debated this one. On one hand, I love Jamie so much. On the other hand, he has a ton of flaws--from the era in which he exists--and I was trying to figure out if that made him qualify for questionable. The thing is, Jamie is far from perfect and a man of his time. He is also a puppy. A lovable puppy with so much love to give. Jamie is freaking selfless--all the things he sacrifices for his sister or beloved... need I say more?

Will Herondale and Jem Carstairs, The Infernal Devices: Two parts of the only love triangle that I have shipped all parties together, they are just the dreamiest set of Shadowhunters ever. We're talking, "I'd totally go back in time to do you if you were real" levels of dreamy. That was out of line. I'm so sorry Tessa. I don't think that I need any more explanation beyond their name because honestly, who doesn't love a Herondale and a Carstairs?

Rhysand, A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas: I wouldn't say that I was all about Tamlin in the first of this series but I was definitely not 100% sold on Rhysand for a hot minute. Eventually, I grew to love him just as much as I loved Feyre and I find these two are so much better together than they are apart. Which is saying something, since they are great apart. Rhysand checks all the right marks for me--sexy, sarcastic and strong. You can't go wrong!

Jamie Watson, Charlotte Holmes Series by Brittany Cavallaro: I just have SO MUCH LOVE for Sherlock as a general rule and the CH series really surprised me. Turning Sherlock and Watson into historical figures rather than fictional characters was a huge risk that really paid off. This Watson is just one of the sweetest surprises in YA of the last few years for me. He is very thoughtful and compelling; smart and undeniably a Watson. It only helps that he's pretty darn cute.

Honorable Mentions: Loren Hale and Ryke Meadows from Addicted, Remus Lupin from Harry Potter, Alec Lightwood and Simon Lewis from The Mortal Instruments, Cary Taylor from Crossfire, Ethan Wate from The Caster Chronicles, Mike Montgomery from Pretty Little Liars, Thayer Vega from the Lying Game, Fox Mulder from the X-Files: Origins.

CURRENT BOOK GIRLFRIENDS

Charlotte Holmes, Charlotte Holmes Series by Brittany Cavallaro: Charlotte is definitely related to Sherlock Holmes. She is very much so like the Sherlock we know--both in literature and mostly in Sherlock's Sherlock (that's a mouthful) and it's so very delicious. I love how quick she is on her feet and how her backstory doesn't define her, only makes her more sympathetic and understandable. She is very underrated and such a BAE.

Jessamine Lovelace, The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare: I'm not going to lie to you guys and say that Jessamine was always my favourite. During my first read of the series, I didn't find her to be all that compelling. The older I become, the more Jessamine's traits scream LOVE to me and I can't stress how much better of a fate she deserved than she received. Her story is undeniably tragic. I'm not crying you're crying.

Daisy, Lily and Rose Calloway, Addicted and Calloway Sisters by Krista & Becca Ritchie: Oh, my favourite fictional family of all time is the Calloway. I'd include Poppy in this but she was such a minor character, we barely got to know her! I love Daisy, Lily and Rose equally and for different reasons. The way that K&B developed these three was so beautifully crafted, it would be damn near impossible to not fall for all three of them.

Feyre Archeron, A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas: LONG LIVE THE QUEEN. I mean sure, she's not really a queen but she's a queen so shut up. High Lady of the Night Court never looked so good as a title, am I right? Ugh, I have so much love for this lady and can honestly say that her development is some of the best I have ever seen. Maas really knocked it out of the park with her and I adore her so much more than I ever expected.

Rose Hathaway, Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead: This girl literally invented the phrase BAD BITCH. Look it up. Okay, that may not be 100% true but it's 100% true now. Not only is she the most loyal friend to Lissa, the connections she has with literally everyone in the series are really great. I love her humor, her badassery and the fact that she (like Isabelle Lightwood) could fight evil all day and still look like that.

Eva Trammel, Crossfire Series by Sylvia Day: Find me a stronger lead in adult fiction, I dare you. Oh fine, I'm sure you could find someone that measures up to her but the fact remains that Eva is one of the best women in erotica. She is beautiful, strong and fiercely intelligent. She is warm. She is full of life. She is flawed. I JUST LOVE HER, OKAY? Like, a lot.

Claire Fraser, Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon: I love Claire so much and she kind of hit me out of nowhere. I was familiar with the series for years before I actually got the courage to pick it up. It had quite a lot of triggers in it, so I was nervous. I'm glad I did. If not for Claire and Jamie, for the wonderful scenery and romance and time-travel goodness. Claire is my #GIRL and I love the way she ages throughout the books and grows and ugh, she's just the dream you know? 

Tessa Gray, The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare: Shadowhunters! Warlocks! RAISE YOUR HAND IF YOU LOVE TESSA. Within the first few chapters of the first installment she is featured in, I loved Tessa so much I couldn't stand it. She can definitely protect herself but there were so many moments where I just wanted to wrap her up in a blanket and keep her safe. Not only did she get to be so, so badass--she was loving, funny and ridiculously smart. I love one (1) book nerd. I love her scenes with basically everyone but especially Will and Jem. I could literally read a dozen books about her and never get sick of her.

Honorable Mentions: Sydney Sage from Vampire Academy and Bloodlines, Emma Carstairs from The Dark Artifices, Dana Scully from The X-Files: Origins, America Singer from The Selection, Katniss Everdeen and Johanna Mason from The Hunger Games, Tris Prior from Divergent.

I didn't get nearly all of my favourites in here but you get the general idea to who my fictional lovers are. I am pretty sure I'm in love with all of the characters I read about but you know what, things could be worse. I'm very tired now because this took me forever to comply (okay not forever but a long time and I'm still not feeling spectacular even as the bronchitis fades) so I'll definitely regret not including some and there were probably a ton of errors I should fix.

Who are some of your favourite book boyfriends or girlfriends or both? Let me know in the comment section!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Translate